‘Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog’ Act I has arrived!

Woo-hoo!

If you tried to check out the debut of Joss Whedon’s new Web-only musical superhero spoof yesterday, you might have run into some trouble: the damn thing was so popular it crashed the Doc Horrible site. But all is fixed now (at least, if you’re in the U.S. and Canada — apparently folks around the world are having some problems watching, which is too bad, and kinda negates the World Wide Webbiness of the thing), so go see what all the fuss is about.

Me? I think it’s a riot. The songs — especially the one in the laudromat (yes, there’s a song set in a laudromat) — sound like something Jonathan Coulton would write. Neil Patrick Harris is adorable, something I never thought I’d hear myself say, as a wannabe supervillain who doesn’t realize he doesn’t really have the cold shriveled evil heart of a supervillain. And what can be said about Nathan Fillion, as Harris’s superhero nemesis? He’s like Captain Amazing from Mystery Men, though even more hilariously arrogant.

Mostly, you have to feel for Harris’s mad scientist, who grapples with that universal dilemma here in Act I: Love, or evil? How to choose…

(next: Act II)

Kate
Kate
Wed, Jul 16, 2008 12:36pm

I was one of those who couldn’t get in on Tuesday but got up early and watched it this morning–it was SO great! NPH was fantastic!!

Newbs
Wed, Jul 16, 2008 3:49pm

I gotta say, I was a little disappointed. Not sure they should have split it into pieces, because the first feels like exactly that: a small piece of something. So, I’m reserving judgment until I’ve seen the whole thing — hopefully the end will justify the beginning.

I mean, I’m sure it will.

Right?

Joanne
Joanne
Wed, Jul 16, 2008 4:16pm

I loved it.

There’s a mirror site at http://www.drhorrible.com.nyud.net/act_I.html which just worked really well for me in New Zealand, apart from a couple of flaky moments.

Skeptical Cat
Wed, Jul 16, 2008 11:33pm

I loved it. NPH was adorable. And the Hammer? He’s a corporate tool! ROFL!

FrankS
FrankS
Thu, Jul 17, 2008 1:04am

You can check out Act II now, too.

D
D
Thu, Jul 17, 2008 7:36am

I have watched both acts here in Portugal without a single problem.

Jan Willem
Jan Willem
Thu, Jul 17, 2008 8:13am

I’ve seen them in Holland without any worries. Outside the USA you can’t buy any episodes or the entire series through iTunes, though.
I liked Nathan Fillion’s creepy smile and the ingenious duet with converging and diverging lyrics, and am curious to see the denouement. I think it’s a charming little show but I’m not quite overwhelmed.

melissa
melissa
Thu, Jul 17, 2008 2:28pm

Act II got really good. I love the songs!! and NPH has seriously surprised me with his awesomeness. yay, Joss!

zids
zids
Tue, Dec 30, 2008 1:55am

MaryAnn, have you watched “Once More, With Feeling” from Buffy? Haven’t seen Dr Horrible yet, but I get the feeling the musical episode was where this is coming from.

Have you watched any Buffy, for that matter?