RIP Don S. Davis, 1942-2008

Oh no! Actor Don S. Davis, probably best known for his role as General Hammond on Stargate SG-1, died Sunday morning. GateWorld has all the details, and a tribute.

I saw Davis in person only once, at I-Con a few years ago. He seemed to a generous man who appreciated how lucky he’d been in his creative life, and of the legacy his roles on Stargate and Twin Peaks would leave him with.

(Technorati tags: )

Clayj
Wed, Jul 02, 2008 4:37pm

He wasn’t the greatest actor and never would have been the lead in anything, but Don S. Davis was definitely rock solid as a supporting character actor, one of those steady guys that you’d see on TV and go “oh, yeah, he’s pretty good”. I’m sorry to hear of his passing.

RIP, Don.

PaulW
PaulW
Wed, Jul 02, 2008 6:12pm

First time I saw him was as the military officer from Twin Peaks. As an X-Phile I more warmly remember him as Scully’s father… Sad news indeed.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Wed, Jul 02, 2008 10:00pm

Sure, Davis had a niche, but he inhabited that niche well. That’s more than can be said for many other people who get paid to act.

Shadowen
Shadowen
Thu, Jul 03, 2008 1:16am

I wonder if there’ll be any scramble to rewrite the upcoming Stargate Continuum to, for lack of a better term, retire and pay tribute to the character of General Hammond now that the actor’s gone.

boz
boz
Thu, Jul 03, 2008 7:48am

@Shadowen, nope. He’s in active duty.

Jan Willem
Jan Willem
Thu, Jul 03, 2008 3:19pm

I’ve never watched Stargate, but I immensely enjoyed Don Davis’ turn as major Garland Briggs in Twin Peaks. He was engaged in some hush-hush space monitoring programme about which he could only drop mere hints to Dale Cooper, whom he recognized as a kindred spirit in the sense of keeping an open mind about inexplicable events in the cosmos. Briggs’ deadpan interaction with his hyperenergetic rebel teenage son Bobby (Dana Ashbrook – where did he go?) was also a sight to behold and cracked me up many times. Don Davis was a good guy. I’m sorry to hear he’s gone.