there’s never enough time…

I DVRed Fringe last night, but I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, and now I have to head out to screenings for the rest of the day. Maybe I’ll get to it late tonight. Was it any good? (Don’t spoil it for me!)

Clayj
Wed, Sep 10, 2008 12:51pm

Yeah, it was pretty good. Anna Torv did a pretty good job for a relatively unknown actress. John Noble is nicely quirky as the mad scientist Bishop. Joshua Jackson was pretty solid.

The science, of course, is very iffy. Then again, it has to be: If it were real, then certain things shown in the show would be commonplace.

Anne-Kari
Anne-Kari
Wed, Sep 10, 2008 1:27pm

Hmmmm…. not to give away too much, I’ll just say I’m giving it an A- for a fairly promising premise, but a C- on execution. Hopefully it’ll improve as the season goes on.

Can’t wait to see what you think.

Michael
Wed, Sep 10, 2008 2:12pm

I agree with Anne-Kari. It may need some time to gel, or it may not get any better than this. As with any show like this, I hope the writers have a plan and aren’t just making everything up as they go along.

On both counts, I suppose we’ll see.

Non-spoiler prediction: If the show gets popular, one of the first ever parodies of it will have someone/thing/animal running into those darned letters. ;)

Tito
Tito
Wed, Sep 10, 2008 2:45pm

Overall I really enjoyed the pilot, but I did read somewhere that the show creators don’t feel it represents what the rest of the show will be like. I think next week’s episode will be even better.
It definitely got my attention, though, so I’ll keep watching for now.

BTW, that “letters” image is pretty funny…

silveragent
silveragent
Wed, Sep 10, 2008 3:22pm

Without giving away any spoilers I just found the characters doing too many silly things. I don’t think I’ll be back for the next episode.

Magess
Magess
Wed, Sep 10, 2008 3:58pm

I thought it was generally good. I like Joshua Jackson for purely aesthetic reasons, though, so I’m probably biased toward him having work. I like his character being snarky, and I hope they don’t make him too nice and compliant as time goes on.

The acting all seemed fairly solid.
It’s like X-files + Strange World + Alias (no shock there).

I can definitely see where it might suffer from JJ syndrome and keep telling you that there’s some Big Plot and never actually give it to you, though. And if they do THAT I’ll be mad.

The science is probably a mix of research and babble, but they didn’t say anything that particularly made me want to throw something at the TV.

David Ellis
Wed, Sep 10, 2008 7:14pm

A decent first episode. I wasn’t blown away but the show has potential—enough that I’ll keep watching to see where it goes.

Very X-Files. Which is OK, I guess, so long as it manages to give us something fresh and doesn’t begin to feel like an uninspired rehash.

Time will tell.

David Ellis
Wed, Sep 10, 2008 7:17pm

I really hope they drop that hokey way of doing the letters for the location. That was incredibly irritating.

Karen R
Karen R
Wed, Sep 10, 2008 9:25pm

Ditto to all above. I think it was blecch. I did a lot of fast forwarding. I could lip read nearly all the dialogue and get it right because it was so trite.

Trite atmospherics without the content to warrant them. Ditto on the irritating chyron labeling of the locations.

Trite acting. (Even though I love me some Mark Valley any time.)

Trite dialogue. I have to say it again.

Trite set-up’s and improbable revelations of personal attachments to people you’ve just met; i.e., Anna Torv to Joshua Jackson, whom she’s just met — “I need your help to save the life of someone … someone I care very much about.” Like why would Jackson even care? Why can’t the writers make people *real*????

Trite and equally irritating, condescending interactions between Torv and her superior. He was unnecessarily antagonistic, even if she did have a spotty background. And if anyone called her “sweetheart” or “honey” one more time, I was going to rip my katana off the wall and do some hackin’!

X-Files rip-off totally — like the white Anasazi-ish handprint that shows up in the opening credits — a total rip from X-Files.

Geesh. Whew. Okay, I’m done now! I guess I was more pissed than I thought at the waste of my time and TiVo space.

Newbs
Thu, Sep 11, 2008 1:56am

Admittedly, I watched the pilot a while ago, but I don’t remember it being as bad as all that — really it’s just another cop show that happens to feature some sci fi elements. I’m sure the 6 episodes FOX airs will be watchable, and we can catch the rest on the “Fringe: The Complete Epic Series (Including 7 Previously Unaired Episodes)” DVDs next X-mas.

I got a distinct “The Inside” vibe from it, in that the main (female) protagonist will likely get into dangerous situations every week and Joshua Jackson will have to save her.

With science!

David Ellis
Thu, Sep 11, 2008 12:40pm

I’m optimistic about the fact that the show seems to be centered on the Singularity, though. Much better focus than alien invasion.

And if you don’t know what I mean when I mention the Singularity—shame on you, don’t you read any modern science fiction?

Did anyone else notice how remarkably similar the actress Anna Torv looks to Cate Blanchett?

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Thu, Sep 11, 2008 4:35pm

Oh, that’s *very* cool! It’s about time the Singularity, as a concept, made it into the mainstream pop culture. *The Matrix* kinda touched on it, but not enough.

Ryan
Ryan
Thu, Sep 11, 2008 5:00pm

I liked the premise, but they really didn’t bother to set up Anna Torv’s character very well.

*spoilers follow*

Her relationship with her ‘old’ partner was her motivating factor, but then she never really reacted to anything that happened after the ‘accident’ in a realistic way. I would have liked to see SOME skepticism from her, and I would like to know why her boss is interested in her…basically I would like to know WHY the people did the things they did.

I did like a few elements that will keep me watching:

1) Joshua Jackson’s character CLEARLY has a mysterious past, and I would not put it past Abrams to have that character be tied into the events Torv is investigating more closely than she believes.

2) the corporation makes an interesting antagonist.

3) John Noble was good in his role.

Overall I would say it was a C+ with plenty of potential to get better. I hope Fox doesn’t Firefly it.