watch it: “Lucifer: The Movie”

Ray Griggs, creator of the abysmal Super Capers, previously made this short as a promo for his vision of a film trilogy about the rise and fall of Lucifer. Not a bad idea for a movie trilogy, and this certainly looks much more impressive than Super Capers. Well, until it starts to look like a videogame after the dragon attack– er, Cerebus attack. And until the angels start pouting at each other with stuff like, “I thought we agreed not to use our abilities.” Then it’s remarkably like Super Capers. I would expect archangels to have snappier things to say to each other than that.

If this is what Heaven was like before God invented humans — kinda like a D&D campaign, or a bad novel by Anne McCaffrey called Dragonriders of Hell — then no wonder He needed some distraction.

Wonderangel powers activate!

D
D
Mon, Mar 23, 2009 8:16pm

Hm… interesting concept. It might work much better as a viedeogame, or even a videogame triology, where the fake dragon, the obnoxious soundtrack and the cheesy dialogue would be more tolerable.
Honestly, my all time favorite incarnation of the Lightbringer is Mike Carey’s, in his “Lucifer” graphic novels. Brilliant stuff. I would prefer an adaptation of those much more.

Mimi
Mimi
Mon, Mar 23, 2009 10:37pm

It’s NOT a bad idea for a movie trilogy, or maybe just one movie — I definitely got that from this short (though with better dialogue, acting, SFX, etc)…

But mostly what I got was: wait, is that Smith Jerrod??

Rosalyn
Rosalyn
Mon, Mar 23, 2009 10:47pm

Oh Dear. At first I thought this was a trailer and my immediate thought was, “Wow, talk about Razzie-bait for the acting.” And call me a purist, but I always thought Cerberus had three heads, not four.

Great concept but I agree more suited to a videogame.

Ryan
Ryan
Tue, Mar 24, 2009 2:31am

Cerebrus had three heads…and was a dog. I’m almost 100% certain that wasn’t meant to be Cerebrus…but was some sort of Dragon/Hydra type thing.

This reminded me of that Xena episode (don’t judge) where she corrupted Lucifer and fought with Michael. The production values were similar. The dialogue in Xena: better.

Mark
Mark
Tue, Mar 24, 2009 2:23pm

Cerberus was (a) a part of Greek mythology, not Christian, and (b) was very definitely and specifically a dog, although the “head count” varied.

The beastie in the video was just a multi-headed dragon. More like King Ghidorah from the Godzilla movies than any traditional hellhound.

Tonio Kruger
Wed, Mar 25, 2009 1:51am

You mean Cerebus wasn’t an aardvark?

Okay, that was obviously a different Cerebus…

Tonio Kruger
Wed, Mar 25, 2009 1:53am

You mean Cerebus wasn’t an aardvark?

Okay, that was obviously a different Cerebus…

I meant Cerberus, of course.

Mark
Mark
Thu, Mar 26, 2009 3:26pm

You mean Cerebus wasn’t an aardvark?

Cerebus (one ‘r’) is the aardvark. Cerberus (two ‘r’s) is the hellhound.

Greg
Mon, Nov 23, 2009 4:23pm

I hope that this becomes a full movie as it would be great to see other then just a 10 min short movie.

Paul
Paul
Mon, Nov 23, 2009 5:24pm

Did Xena really have an episode where she corrupted Satan and fought Michael? That’s way gutsier than I thought that show was. But considering they also had an episode where she gave Joseph and Mary directions to Bethleham, an interesting example of their carefree temporality.

AJP
AJP
Tue, Nov 24, 2009 4:09pm

Yes, Xena did corrupt Lucifer and fight Michael. This took place in the season 6 episodes The haunting of Amphipolis and Heart of Darkness.

Paul
Paul
Tue, Nov 24, 2009 5:02pm

See,that’s weird. Didn’t Xena reform? If Michael’s the bad guy, why didn’t the far right erupt and protest the show or something?

Accounting Ninja
Accounting Ninja
Tue, Nov 24, 2009 5:41pm

Now why would they go and watch left-wing, lesbian propaganda like Xena? ;)

And, ten minutes, nearly eleven? Man, I don’t have time to sit through that here…still at work.

*ninjas away*

Paul
Paul
Tue, Nov 24, 2009 7:47pm

I have just spent the last hour researching Xena. My freakin pagan gods, it was like reading an alternate universe with compressed time.

@Accounting Ninja: I can see why the fundies would never have watched it, so they probably didn’t notice. Or they figured it was so different from Biblical and Miltonian accounts that they couldn’t get worked up over it. The synopsis doesn’t make Xena much of a heroine in that episode either, so they could wash their hands and say, “All those left wing sinners are as evil as we thought.”

Tonio Kruger
Tue, Nov 24, 2009 10:28pm

In other words, it happened at least two seasons after most Xena fans had given up on the series–which started going downhill shortly after the beginning of season 4.

(Yes, I’m cynical. But rent the episodes from the last three seasons and see what conclusion you come to. As much as I liked the show in its heyday, it’s hard to avoid the fact that most of its most memorable episodes occurred within the first three seasons.)