retro trailer: ‘Howard the Duck’

Take a look back at an old trailer…

Do we have a greater purpose? Some cosmic cause? These are the questions that haunt us in the depths of the night. Aren’t we all trapped in a world we never made?

This is some deep stuff.

Can you believe that I’ve never seen this movie? I can hardly believe it myself. But I’ve just added it to my Netflix queue and hope to get to it soon. I’m highly intrigued to discover the universe in which someone thought this was funny:

And also the universe in which Tim Robbins managed to have a career after this.

Howard the Duck is available new on Region 1 DVD from Amazon.com and from Amazon.ca, and on Region 2 DVD from Amazon.co.uk. In the U.S., it’s available to stream from Amazon on Demand.

PaulW
PaulW
Sun, Jan 24, 2010 6:06pm

Tim Robbins totally lucked out his next big movie was Bull Durham.

Cori Ann
Cori Ann
Sun, Jan 24, 2010 6:48pm

Oh wow, I am very curious to hear what you think of this one. I loved it when I was a kid, but it’s one of those movies I’m scared to watch now that I’m grown up(ish) because I know it will just be terrible.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Sun, Jan 24, 2010 7:35pm

From what I’ve seen of the movie, you weren’t missing a whole lot, MaryAnn.

I suspect the original source material by Steve Gerber and company addresses the philosophical questions you raise a whole lot better.

And before a certain someone asks…

Is there any chance Kentucky Fried Movie has a place in your Netflix queue?

What?

It does?

And it’s at 498?

Oh, MaryAnn…

Anne-Kari
Anne-Kari
Sun, Jan 24, 2010 8:28pm

I remember a little bit of the source material (Howard the Duck comics), and if memory serves it was actually quite edgy, satirical stuff. Or at least so my older brother thought – he was HORRIFIED by the movie. I remember seeing the movie and thinking it was dreadful.

The comics might actually worth a second look… not so much the movie.

Lenina
Lenina
Sun, Jan 24, 2010 8:40pm

Some choice adjectives for Howard the Duck:

Nonsensical
Sleazy
Creepy
Repellent
Baffling
Preposterous
Awkward
Unfunny

For those who have seen it: I think the almost-sex scene serves as a microcosm of the entire movie. All the above adjectives can certainly be applied to that scene.

No Name
No Name
Sun, Jan 24, 2010 9:59pm

any reason to run down Tim Robbins, Maybe (this is NO MAYBE but a fact) He has his career because he’s has some much talent it’s not even funny I’d take 10 Howard the Ducks over one porkys or revenge of the Nerds

Lisa
Lisa
Mon, Jan 25, 2010 6:36am

I remember this movie! I was going to say that I remembered it fondly but then someone mentioned the almost sex scene and now I feel sick.

Rob
Rob
Mon, Jan 25, 2010 10:07am

Howard the Duck is actually one of my all-time guilty pleasure films. Objectively, it’s terrible. But for me, it reaches so-bad-it’s-brilliant status. I could watch it a million times.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Mon, Jan 25, 2010 10:19am

I’m with Rob. ^

Bzero
Mon, Jan 25, 2010 8:38pm

I love the comics, old and new. I’ve been afraid to see the movie. Let us know what you think! B)