question of the day: What movie are you most looking forward to in April?

As of this writing, 12 movies will open wide in North America in the month of April. Which means that even if you’re an active moviegoer and see a movie each week, you’ve still gotta pick and choose (and it’s even worse if you’re in a city on the arthouse circuit, but let’s not make this too complicated).

After a jump, a list of those 12 movies to whet your appetite, or not, as the case may be:
March 31
The Last Song (trailer) (no U.K. release date has been announced)

April 2
Clash of the Titans (trailer) (opens in the U.K. on the same day)
Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married Too (trailer) (no U.K. release date has been announced)

April 9
Date Night (opens in the U.K. on April 21)
The Runaways (trailer) (no U.K. release date has been announced)

April 16
Death at a Funeral (trailer) (opens in the U.K. on June 4)
Kick-Ass (trailer) (opens in the U.K. on April 2)

April 22
Oceans (no U.K. release date has been announced)

April 23
The Back-Up Plan (opens in the U.K. on May 7)
The Losers (opens in the U.K. on April 9)

April 30
Furry Vengeance (opens in the U.K. on May 7)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (opens in the U.K. on May 7)

Which of these movies are you most looking forward to in April?

Nathan F
Nathan F
Tue, Mar 30, 2010 10:30am

For me it’s Kick-Ass. People went nuts for it at SXSW and I’m hoping it’s as good as they say.

Oceans is my second choice; from what I’m understand it’s all original footage unlike last year’s Earth.

Isobel
Isobel
Tue, Mar 30, 2010 10:45am

Death at a Funeral for me, whenever it finally gets here, as well as How To Train Your Dragon which doesn’t open until tomorrow here (so still technically March, I suppose).

I might be tempted to go along and see Clash of the Titans just because I’ve always liked my Greek mythology for some reason (I used to have a big book of Greek myths as a child and I loved them).

Nathan F
Nathan F
Tue, Mar 30, 2010 10:52am

How could I forget Clash? Yeah, that too.

Left_Wing_Fox
Left_Wing_Fox
Tue, Mar 30, 2010 11:02am

Kick-Ass has my curiosity, the Losers looks like it could be fun.

aside from that, “How to Train Your Dragon” is the only one I’m really planning to see anytime soon.

markyd
markyd
Tue, Mar 30, 2010 11:25am

Wow. What a crappy month for movies. Normally I would be all over something like Clash, but it just looks SO bad.
Kick Ass looks interesting, but I have my reservations about it, as explained in the trailer thread.
Probably take the kid to see the Dragon movie yet.

PaulW
Tue, Mar 30, 2010 12:42pm

Kick-Ass is the likely winner of “gonna see”. But I will do so knowing it’s not going to be pretty.

Mo
Mo
Tue, Mar 30, 2010 3:49pm

I’m looking forward to the Runaways, and really excited about Kick-Ass. A little girl beating up the bad guys while throwing a half a dozen movie superhero conventions out the window (a girl, no catsuit, too young to be sexy, too foul-mouthed to be cute, and yet taking over the movie even though she’s not *supposed* to be the star)? Yeah I’m interested, especially since the screenplay was written by a comic book obsessed woman who’s daughter was about that age at the time. It should bring an interesting perspective to it all. At the same time it looks a little beyond my violence threshold, so if I do watch it may involve more listening than actual err…watching.

But of course most of my mental real estate will be taken up by the small screen between Lost and Doctor Who. Have you seen the new Tardis yet? http://www.radiotimes.com/content/features/galleries/doctor-who-exclusive-look-inside-the-new-tardis/01/

Lythea
Lythea
Tue, Mar 30, 2010 5:59pm

It hurts my head a little bit that Death at a Funeral is being remade already. I thought I might be misremembering the title. I checked the year at the top of the post, in case I’d somehow been sucked into the archives. But it exists. Why?

iakobos
iakobos
Tue, Mar 30, 2010 9:49pm

Clash of the Titans is the only one that interests me but I will only see it at the theater if the reviews are outstanding.

Ide Cyan
Ide Cyan
Tue, Mar 30, 2010 11:23pm

Already saw The Runaways, which I liked, so out of all of these, I’d say A Nightmare on Elm Street: the Remake, and possibly Date Night, although I’m worried it might turn out too lowest-common-denominator and make me cringe instead of laugh.

I like the original Death at a Funeral, but I’m not averse to the idea of the remake, though I don’t know whether I’ll bother to see it in theatres.

Also: Millennium 3 (aka The Girl who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, for those of you who read the books in English) will open here on April 30. I saw the first two films with family and will probably go see the third with them too.

Dokeo
Dokeo
Tue, Mar 30, 2010 11:44pm

Meh. Oh pretty please can we get rid of the notion that spring and summer are only for “crap” and “blockbusters” respectively? How about the crazy notion that releasing a few quality films each week might get fans of quality films to go to the movies pretty much once a week?

Nathan
Nathan
Wed, Mar 31, 2010 12:13am

Can we also get rid of the crazy notion that blockbuster and quality are mutually exclusive? A fantastic “blockbuster” in How to Train Your Dragon was released just last week.

Nathan
Nathan
Wed, Mar 31, 2010 12:27am

Also, how do you know if a film is “quality” unless you see it?

Der Bruno Stroszek
Der Bruno Stroszek
Wed, Mar 31, 2010 2:57am

The Runaways, by a mile, with Kick-Ass and Clash of the Titans in the “this is probably not going to be high art but might be fun” category.

Remy Michael
Remy Michael
Wed, Mar 31, 2010 3:19am

Kick-Ass and I Love You Phillip Morris are the two I am most looking forward to in April. So basically the ones the major studios want nothing to do with.