‘Lost’ blogging: “Happily Ever After”

(previous: “The Package”)

There’s no way to “review” or “analyze” or even “discuss” this show on an episode-by-episode basis — it’s more like you just have to react and try to guess what the hell is going on. So I’m not even gonna try to impose any sense or reason upon it: I’m just going to react. Maybe when it’s all said and done there will be something cohesive to say. Till then…

Perhaps needless to say, Lost doesn’t make much sense while you’re watching it. My ramblings will surely make even less sense if you haven’t seen the episode… and something may get spoiled for you that you don’t want spoiled. You have been warned.

So, here are the thoughts I jotted down, pretty much in order as they occurred to me as I watched:
Desmond is a prisoner of Widmore! On the island! The island isn’t done with him yet! Oh noes!

A test? With Desmond? It’s about wormholes, isn’t it? Desmond is a walking wormhole generator or something, yes? What’s with the chair in the solanoid room? Did Widmore create time-traveling godlike Jacob with his experiments? Do I care anymore?

Maybw they should have used a better flux capacitor. Or switched out the oscillation overthruster…

You know, of all the flights I’ve taken and all the people I’ve met on planes or at the baggage carousel, no one has ever offered to give me a lift or give me their car. But that keeps happening to these Oceanic people. Maybe that’s part of their magic?

And not-island Desmond is BFFs with Widmore. Is this supposed to surprise us?

Plane Charlie is a loon…

Someday, when I have a band, I’m gonna call it Not Penny’s Boat.

Wouldn’t it be awesome if Desmond time-traveled while in the MRI?

Okay, so not-island Demond loves Widmore, who needs needs Driveshaft Charlie picked up from jail, and they end up in Jack’s hospital. You know, there comes a point beyond which coincidence works as a plot point and just starts getting really annoying, and starts feeling like a cheap copout.

Oh, but creepy Mrs. Widmore and her son Daniel know all about alternate universes, doesn’t she…

Ooo, look: It’s The Time Traveler’s Wife! It’s Quantum Leap! It’s Back to the Future! When is it gonna be Lost again?

(Watch full episodes at ABC’s official site for the show.)

(next: “Everybody Loves Hugo”)

PaulW
PaulW
Wed, Apr 07, 2010 9:09am

It’s going to turn out to be Gilligan’s fevered dream.

What, that’s been done?!

Newbs
Wed, Apr 07, 2010 9:50am

Jesus, MaryAnn, this is inane. It’s time to forbid you from watching Lost ever again. God forbid you ever level this laser of snark at Doctor Who; it won’t be pretty.

This was a great episode, and it finally shed a little light on what the sideways flashbacks are all about. Plus, Desmond!

JoshDM
JoshDM
Wed, Apr 07, 2010 10:00am

It’s always been LOST.

RyanT
RyanT
Wed, Apr 07, 2010 10:18am

Destiny. Plain and simple. Or you know, Bad Wolf.

stryker1121
stryker1121
Wed, Apr 07, 2010 11:38am

Pretty good episode…i’ve kinda been sketchy on these ‘flash sideways’ segments, but at least this one seemed to tie into the island. And I don’t mind the coincidences. That’s the whole show, like it or not…i’m your density and all that. Roll with it, MaryAnn, is my suggestion. It’s almost over anyway, and then people can overindulge and overanalyze some other show.

Anybody watch V after Lost last night? Is it worth even getting into? THe commercials really turn me off for some reason, even w/ the lovely Morena Baccarin in attendance. To my cynical eye it looks boring and cliched.

Christina
Christina
Wed, Apr 07, 2010 3:17pm

I’ve been reading these random LOST notes for a couple of weeks now, and all it makes me think is, I’m SO GLAD I stopped watching that show halfway through the first season. Sometimes it sounds like they are being deliberately obnoxious with these plot twists and oh noes. Eeesh.

Arco
Arco
Wed, Apr 07, 2010 10:38pm

My wife and I lasted into the first few episodes of the second season before we quit. We too are very happy that we stopped watching. It felt like a show that was just going to yank our chain for the sake of doing so, season after frustrating season,, and it seems that’s exactly the type of show it wound up being.

Alan Slipp
Alan Slipp
Thu, Apr 08, 2010 12:13am

Jesus, MaryAnn, this is inane.

Seconded. I mean, come on, if you’d only watched the first season I can see why none of this would make any sense, but after the last five seasons – what else are you expecting?!?

Newbs
Fri, Apr 09, 2010 12:05am

Christina (Wed Apr 07 10, 3:17PM):

Well, this is the reason I keep showing up in the comments to these posts. I gotta tell you, MaryAnn is not representing the show as it actually is, there’s a lot of negativity there. I mean, it’s totally cool if you don’t wanna watch Lost anymore, but using these particular posts as a sort of retro-confirmation of that decision is a little bit like using Dick Cheney’s autobiography as evidence for why Sadaam was responsible for 9-11.

That’s just the first example I came up with, I’m not saying MaryAnn is Dick Cheney or anything. She’s just reporting the facts from a significantly skewed perspective. She doesn’t like the show and she’s making fun of it. So just keep that in mind, I guess, is what I’m saying. :)

Chris Dalton
Chris Dalton
Fri, Apr 09, 2010 9:35am

Wait, I’m confused about the show… so the cops knew internal affairs were setting them up?

JoshDM
JoshDM
Fri, Apr 09, 2010 10:19am

Notice how she doesn’t respond to any feedback here. I figure she actually knows what’s going down and instead chooses to type out purposefully inane blog posts in order to get reactions. She’s “trolling”.

brett
brett
Fri, Apr 09, 2010 12:36pm

It’s trolling for sure, no need for quotes.

I used to recommend this site to friends, but stopped. The snark has turned whiney and petulant on the site, and it’s sort of pathetic.