throw a sofa in the ‘Millennium Falcon’ common room and you’re done

I saw the headline, and I knew that the Force was not with us today:

Lucasfilm plans ‘Star Wars’ sitcom

It’s like an Imperial dispatch that’s actually a trap, via Variety:

Lucasfilm confirmed Monday it is developing a new animated “Star Wars” sitcom.

No network or start date has been set for the laffer. Jennifer Hill, a Daytime Emmy winner for “The Backyardigans,” will produce.

Todd Grimes (“Back at the Barnyard”) is set to direct. “Robot Chicken” executive producers and creators Seth Green and Matthew Senreich will be creative consultants on the skein. Hill said “They’ll be shaping the type of comedy we’re looking for and the look of the show.”

But Hill said the new series would not be a spoof but something more in the sitcom vein.

If the Robot Chicken guys are in charge, yay. But it sounds like they won’t be.

I can see it now: Han and Leia’s twins are a couple of mischievous scamps, but just wait till Dad gets home — it’ll be the Pit of Sarlacc for them if they don’t get this mess cleaned up in less than 12 parsecs!

This has been your WTF Thought for the Day.

bitchen frizzy
bitchen frizzy
Tue, Apr 06, 2010 4:04pm

LOL. I saw a newswire story about this earlier today and I just knew you’d be generating a sarcastic thread about it.

Who’s the screenwriter? It couldn’t be… he shouldn’t… they wouldn’t… writing comedy?

Mo
Mo
Tue, Apr 06, 2010 4:05pm

Uh… April Fools day was last week…..

Please tell me this was one of those media echo chamber things that lasted too long.

Lisa
Lisa
Tue, Apr 06, 2010 4:24pm

Best Idea Ever!!!

Lucas Rulezzzz!

JoshDM
JoshDM
Tue, Apr 06, 2010 4:34pm

Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL incest joke!

Blueberry
Tue, Apr 06, 2010 4:34pm

I guess they will figure out a way to put Jar-Jar Binks or his relatives in it.

I also had to check the date on it to see if it was April 1.

Sadly, I will probably not be able to resist watching it.

Kat
Kat
Tue, Apr 06, 2010 6:20pm

I can see it now: Han and Leia’s twins are a couple of mischievous scamps, but just wait till Dad gets home.

And Han will be played by a chubby middle-aged guy who’s good-hearted but generally clueless. Leia on the other hand will still look like in her late 20’s with flawless manicure and make-up 24/7, basically managing the family on her own. Chewbacca lives in the basement and is mostly cranky whilst Leia’s dead-beat brother occasionally shows up to crash on the sofa and entertain the kids with crazy stoner-talk about ‘the Force’.

Tue, Apr 06, 2010 6:36pm

The question is, Will they stoop to this?

Dokeo
Dokeo
Tue, Apr 06, 2010 6:54pm

And Jabba the Hutt, Jr. is the wacky next door neighbor!

Whimper, sigh. I thought Episodes 1-3 had strip-mined the shiny golden cinematic memories of my childhood enough. George, wouldja knock it off? Are you not rich enough already? Geez! I

‘m guessing Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are NOT on board as vocal talent.

Paul
Paul
Tue, Apr 06, 2010 7:25pm

What exactly does a “creative consultant” do, anyway?

Regardless, I shall withhold judgement until they actually make an episode. Then we will see if this comes from the Greedy Side of the Force or the Muse’s Side.