‘Doctor Who’ thing of the day: Matt Smith and Orbital at Glastonbury

So many readers submitted this to me this morning that I can’t believe there’s anyone left who hasn’t seen it. But in case you haven’t, check out Matt Smith at Glastonbury Festival, who joined the band Orbital onstage last night to perform the Doctor Who theme song:

Or listen to Orbital’s studio version of the theme music.

(If you stumble across a cool Doctor Who thing, feel free to email me with a link.)

Lisa
Lisa
Mon, Jun 28, 2010 1:44pm

that is so fly

Tammy
Tammy
Mon, Jun 28, 2010 2:39pm

Oh, how utterly thrilling that must have been for Matt, to pick out his theme tune onstage for the fans! I’d love to hear more about it. :-D

Lisa
Lisa
Mon, Jun 28, 2010 3:15pm

It’s an old Orbital song. It’s actually better than the current theme tune. It’s neat that he got to do it, especially with this weekend being the last episode of Dr Who.

Ken Patterson
Mon, Jun 28, 2010 3:33pm

Sadly, this performance of the theme isn’t as good as previous performances (like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPM8B5eIP7Q&feature=related – from a previous Glastonbury) or the studio version.

Lisa
Lisa
Mon, Jun 28, 2010 3:46pm

still, he’s having the time of his life

Corey Tamas
Mon, Jun 28, 2010 6:19pm

This is a pretty good year for Matt. :)

Lynn
Lynn
Mon, Jun 28, 2010 6:24pm

Yay, that made my Monday.

He started out a little shakey, and not at all in line with the beat, but things got cool around 2:36

Oddly enough, I have a Live from Glastonbury mp3 of Orbital doing this a few years ago. Is Dr Who at Glastonbury a tradition for them?

Mo
Mo
Mon, Jun 28, 2010 10:42pm

Man, if ever there was a year to go to Glastonbury… I guess it will just have to wait on my things to do before I die list for a while longer. *sigh*

The entire world of electronic music would have been such a poorer place without Delia Derbyshire and her original Who theme. How amazing is it that such a landmark piece of music was attached to such an enduring program?

@Lynn I think their version of the Who theme is a setlist standard for them. At least that’s the impression I’ve always had.

RyanT
RyanT
Mon, Jun 28, 2010 10:48pm

Hey MaryAnn, have you seen these LOVELY pictures of the wedding from BBC’s website?