‘Doctor Who’ thing of the day: TARDIS spotted in 7,000-year-old cave painting?

A cave painting in Utah dating from around 5000 BC appears to depict the TARDIS, which is pretty cool. Of course the Doctor would have visited the native peoples of ancient Utah for a nice relaxing sedentary hunter-gatherer vacation.

The British newspaper The Sun, via which I discovered this image, reliably tries to turn this into something provocative:

A CAVE painting created 7,000 years ago has stunned experts – by appearing to show Doctor Who’s time-travelling Tardis.

One, I doubt “experts” are “stunned,” unless The Sun consulted a gaggle of eight-year-olds buying bowties at Topshop. Two, he’s not “Doctor Who” — he’s just “the Doctor.”

I mean: Duh.

The photo is by Bret Webster, whose site is full of beautiful images of the American West, and whom, bizarrely, The Sun credits as Bret Walker.

(If you stumble across a cool Doctor Who thing, feel free to email me with a link.)

DaveTM
DaveTM
Wed, Jun 23, 2010 8:20pm

While I can see very little resemblence to a TARDIS. I just want to know what a real expert thinks it is.

Kat
Kat
Wed, Jun 23, 2010 8:47pm

Don’t worry von Däniken celebrated his 75th birthday this year and threat… I mean promised to continue writing as long as he can hold a pen.

Nadia
Nadia
Wed, Jun 23, 2010 9:04pm

First that picture from NASA and the crack, and now this? Shouldn’t someone be asking Moffat if he’s really a god or just happens to be making the most extreme (and awesome) publicity campaign ever?

Scott
Scott
Thu, Jun 24, 2010 2:33am

If this was a viral marketing operation, it would be awesome.

Isobel
Isobel
Thu, Jun 24, 2010 9:51am

I’m not even sure Doctor Who needs viral marketing! I was on the train yesterday and the woman beside me on the train was watching an episode on her iPod, and two people had Doctor Who ringtones. It’s everywhere! Not that I’m complaining, of course :)

bronxbee
bronxbee
Thu, Jun 24, 2010 11:06am

it’s a *negative* image of the TARDIS!

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Thu, Jun 24, 2010 11:20am

Where were you, Isobel? (I’m curious if you’re in the States or the U.K. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the U.K., but I would be if it were the U.S.)

Pete Dillon-Trenchard
Thu, Jun 24, 2010 11:29am

What nonsense, that’s clearly not the TARDIS; it’s the phone booth from Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure.

Isobel