question of the day: If you were a supervillain, to what use would you put your mad sweet power?

Despicable Me seems to have captured the public imagination at the moment, opening to an astonishing $60 million-plus this weekend, far beyond the most generous predictions on Friday. It seems, perhaps, that audiences were indeed hungry for something fresh and original.

With supervillainy on my mind, then, this morning, here’s a question for you:

If you were a supervillain, to what use would you put your mad sweet power?

I would just continue what I’m doing.

(If you have a suggestion for a QOTD, feel free to email me. Responses to this QOTD sent by email will be ignored; please post your responses here.)

doa766
doa766
Mon, Jul 12, 2010 10:37am

getting rid of all the world’s religions, but on the long run would be seen as a superhero really

JoshB
JoshB
Mon, Jul 12, 2010 11:29am

I would totally be Godzilla. No question.

Dokeo
Dokeo
Mon, Jul 12, 2010 12:01pm

I would crush everyone responsible for reality TV.

I’d also eradicate all uses of these grammar/style pet peeves:
1. using “unique” instead of “unusual” – it’s simply not possible for something to be “somehwat unique” dammit!
2. any an all uses of the phrase “state of the art”
3. irregardless (yes, Mom I *am* talking to you, too!)
4. “that” instead of “who” when referring to people (i.e. the kids that were playing in the park had fun.)

Bwahahahahahaha!

bronxbee
bronxbee
Mon, Jul 12, 2010 12:18pm

i wonder if i could ask Dokeo to include people who say, “I could care less,” when what they mean is they *couldn’t* care less. if you could care less, then you care somewhat! gaahh!

PaulW
PaulW
Mon, Jul 12, 2010 1:08pm

I prefer being a superhero, TYVM.

But if I were to turn evil, or have a Mirror Universe counterpart… I would (items of a disturbingly graphic nature that really can’t even be hinted at have been censored for national security reasons).

…Yeah, that’s how nasty I can get. To Eleven.

Kat
Kat
Mon, Jul 12, 2010 1:14pm

I’d go after all the folks who think noise-pollution is no big deal – hrmph…

Dr Leslie Carr
Mon, Jul 12, 2010 1:36pm

I’d set up an institute of super-villainy, with clearly defined levels of achievement that mapped onto established scales of pedagogical accreditation – what constitutes a bachelors degree in villainy studies, a masters of business villainy, a PhD in super-villainy etc etc.

Dokeo
Dokeo
Mon, Jul 12, 2010 1:37pm

Yes! Thanks for bringing up one I missed.

PaulW
PaulW
Mon, Jul 12, 2010 1:41pm

A Masters of Business Villainy? They already got one: it’s called an MBA.

Say hi to Lehman Brothers for me!

Boingo
Boingo
Mon, Jul 12, 2010 5:48pm

If I were a Super Villain, I’d ….no wait!
To a few people I know, I AM a Super Villain!

… and they haven’t seen the last of it, those deserving jerks!

Fuggle
Fuggle
Tue, Jul 13, 2010 4:33am

I would do horrible things. And I would force people to grow from the pain and the horror and to overcome. I would destroy until they could find the new ways and use them to stop me.