deep thought (re woman as prizes for men)

If someone wanted to poke fun at the idea of women as “princesses” to be won at the conclusion of a video game or prizes to be won by male cinematic heroes, we would this weekend be anticipating the opening of Ramona Flowers vs. the World.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Wed, Aug 11, 2010 1:45pm

See, now THAT I could get behind.

JoshDM
JoshDM
Wed, Aug 11, 2010 2:02pm

List of psycho ex-boyfriends. She probably dumped them all; makes you kind of wonder why they all want her back and why this guy wants a relationship with her.

Doesn’t look worth all the trouble.

Granted, I don’t think that’s what the original intent of the story is all about, but I don’t know the source material well enough to make that conclusion.

nyjm
nyjm
Wed, Aug 11, 2010 2:09pm

I would totally go see Ramona go 8-bit kung-fu. And I would cast Summer Glau.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Wed, Aug 11, 2010 2:36pm

List of psycho ex-boyfriends.

This is an enormous problem with the movie: They’re not psychos and they’re not evil. (Only one of them is.)

mortadella
mortadella
Wed, Aug 11, 2010 2:36pm

Yeah, wouldn’t it make more sense if Ramona had to battle her ex-boyfriends? They’re strangers to Scott.

Tyler Foster
Wed, Aug 11, 2010 5:19pm

(Mild spoilers ahead.) I can predict your issues with this argument before I make it, but my overwhelming feeling is that this is where Scott and Ramona are going at the end of the movie: into another series of battles for Ramona to fight, with Scott volunteering to be her “Player 2” while she does so.

D
D
Wed, Aug 11, 2010 5:54pm

You know, there’s a Brotherhood of Evil Mutants too– but if you ask THEM if they’re evil… well, for them, it’s a minor joke.

See, you’re dealing with video game/comic book logic, here. Of course the League is of Evil Exes– if they were the League of Affable Yet Contractually Obligated Exes, it’d be far less fun.

CB
CB
Wed, Aug 11, 2010 6:19pm

When the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants was founded, the name wasn’t ironic in the least. Magneto was unabashedly a villain who wanted to take over the world and would slaughter anyone who tried to stop him, and he only wanted mutants who were okay with that on his side. Yes he had a goal of a world safe for mutants, it wasn’t evil for evil’s sake, but it was evil nonetheless and nobody felt the need to pretend it wasn’t.

It wasn’t until much later that having villains who actually acknowledge that they are evil was passe, so they made it “ironic” which was the in thing at the time.

But if that’s what they are, then calling them “Evil” doesn’t make it fun. It just makes it slightly ironic.

Mal, of course, is all about ironically unironic irony and can pull it off in print, but still. Give me Evil Exes who are actually evil but understandable — like Magneto — and that’s fun.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Thu, Aug 12, 2010 12:28am

Great. So I’ll just imagine the movie in which Ramona is the star and Scott gets to take a backseat to her.