Today goes to eleven in all the ways that it can, and so it must be Nigel Tufnel Day. Here are some things you can do to honor Nigel on his day:
1. Take a trip down memory lane to the time when you were an 11-week fetus: suck your thumb for 11 minutes.
2. Saw the last inch off a foot-long ruler so that it goes only to 11.
3. Stage a recreation of the Battle of the Lupia River, in which Roman forces defeated the Germanic Sicambri tribe in 11BC.
4. Put 11 ounces of salt — sodium: atomic number 11 — on all your meals today.
5. Watch an episode of Doctor Who starring Matt “Eleventh Doctor” Smith.
6. Stop a war somewhere in the world in remembrance of Armistice Day, 11/11/1918, which ended World War I.
7. If you are Neil Armstrong, remember how you took humankind’s first step on the moon during the Apollo 11 mission.
8. Enjoy a rousing rendition of Bob Dorough’s Schoolhouse Rock song “The Good Eleven.”
9. Use the F11 key on your keyboard 11 times today.
10. Go outside and stare directly at the sun for 11 minutes, and see how many sunspots (sunspot cycle: 11 years) you can count in that time.
11. Put off something really super important until the very last minute, so that you can later brag that you got it done “at the eleventh hour.”
Remember, though, that you don’t need to do anything special to commemorate Nigel Tufnel Day. But whatever you do, do it one louder. For Nigel.