do major nominations or awards help you decide which movies to see?

amyadamsgoldenglobes

The Golden Globes are over for this year — American Hustle was the big winner, including the awesome Amy Adams for best actress a comedy or musical; see Variety for the full list of winners — and the Oscar nominations will be announced this Thursday, January 16th. So now we’ll be hearing about the Oscar bump, the boost in box office that appears to accompany movies that receive Academy Award nominations and wins. And clearly film publicists believe Golden Globe noms and wins help, too, because they certainly end up splayed all over gushing ads for those films.

But how widespread is that phenomenon? Does it impact only very casual moviegoers, whose awareness of films may be somewhat limited and hence more impacted by awards coverage in the general press? Do more serious moviegoers — as I presume most of you reading this are — find themselves influenced in the same way?

Do major nominations or awards help you decide which movies to see? Why, or why not? Do multiple noms or awards from different awards-giving bodies make any difference?

And now, for the first time with a Question of the Week, an easy way for you to respond, if you’d rather not leave a comment:

(Please feel free to respond to the poll and leave a comment, too, of course.)

(If you have a suggestion for a Question, feel free to email me.)

Mon, Jan 13, 2014 12:10pm

As I’ve been arguing with DrRocketScience, I don’t take major awards seriously as a guide to quality — they’re much more interesting as a guide to how Hollywood feels about itself. Minor awards are more interesting. Reviews, whether professional or informal from friends, are vastly more useful than either.

althea
althea
reply to  RogerBW
Mon, Jan 13, 2014 3:46pm

Pretty much my answer too, except for the individual actors. I see so much of them on talk shows after they’re nominated that I form some opinion of their performance from the bits and pieces. If I’m attracted, I’m more likely to want to see the movie.

beckymonster
beckymonster
Mon, Jan 13, 2014 12:11pm

On the whole, no. Awards committees and I tend to have very *different* views as to what deserves kudos. For example my top three films for last year were: Gravity, The Act of Killing and Pacific Rim.

The first two will get awards love – the third (tragically) not.

Even so, I challenge myself each year to see all the Best Picture nominated movies, Usually, I fail miserably! (There is always one that came out long before the process started) Last year – I managed it, seeing some really good films and others that were… there. I’m going to try again this year – just have to wait to see what makes the cut on Thursday…

MarkyD
reply to  beckymonster
Mon, Jan 13, 2014 5:13pm

I quite enjoyed Pacific Rim, but I readily admit it’s not an award worthy movie. Special effects, certainly, but that’s about it.

David C-D
David C-D
Mon, Jan 13, 2014 3:51pm

I make it to the theater very rarely and end up catching most everything on DVD/VOD. So the awards bump sometimes means I get a second chance at something I was too slow to catch the first time around.

Otherwise it doesn’t play much of a role as I get the majority of my movie news here.

MarkyD
Mon, Jan 13, 2014 5:11pm

NO. While I do enjoy perusing end of year top ten lists from select reviewers, they rarely have any effect on what I view. Unless some indie movie that I never heard of gets mentioned. Then I’ll look it up.
In short, reviews and interest determine what I’ll see, not awards.
I don’t even bother watching award shows anymore, because it all kind of disgusts me. Those people live in entirely different world than you or I.

Sam Inglis
Sam Inglis
Mon, Jan 13, 2014 6:06pm

Yes. Not because it’s a stamp of approval but because I do my friend’s pre-Oscar podcast and I can’t really justify being grumpy and cynical about things I haven’t seen.

Travis
Travis
Tue, Jan 14, 2014 12:31am

Generally, I’ll look to a list of noms (rather than winners) to create a short list of flicks to see when I’m low on time.

singlestick
singlestick
Wed, Jan 15, 2014 10:31pm

Sometimes. They may remind me to go see a movie I meant to see, but skipped initially. And in the US, I hear that they are bringing “Gravity” back into the theaters, which is the best way to watch it.

Beowulf
Beowulf
Fri, Jan 17, 2014 5:42pm

Ever since CITIZEN KANE (seriously) was mostly snubbed, I’ve taken the AA with a grain of salt (thank you, Dr. Cliche). Still, it pisses me off when Emma Thompson, in the best performance of the year, doesn’t even get an Oscar nod, much less a chance to win. And what about Hanks in CAPTAIN PHILIPS?