a reminder about commenting

I recently gave a second chance to a commenter who had behaved badly here and then set up a new persona and began commenting again. This person — who I was able to identify as the same person via his/her IP address — today posted multiple abusive comments, under new separate personas that were meant to look like they were coming from other, different people again. They were all from the same person. I have not only banned that person again, but have taken the additional extra step of deleting his/her comments that were posted under the supposedly reformed persona.

I don’t like doing this. I would prefer it if everyone behaved themselves. But I will not tolerate abuse toward me or toward my other commenters.

Another idiot recently posted something to the effective that because “this is the Internet,” s/he could post whatever the hell s/he wanted here. S/he was mistaken. “This” is not “the Internet.” This is my site. This is my party. And if you come into my party and start behaving like a thug, you will be kicked out.

Go start your own damn web site if you want to hurl abuse at people. Don’t even think about doing it here.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Sat, Apr 05, 2014 10:56pm

Whadda pain. Maybe they need something to do with their life.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  LaSargenta
Sat, Apr 05, 2014 11:08pm

I have no sympathy.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Sun, Apr 06, 2014 12:23am

NSS.

Danielm80
Danielm80
Sun, Apr 06, 2014 2:25am

For a while, I figured that the commenter was just a clueless, immature person or a troll. But I’m starting to wonder if she (or he) has serious, diagnosable psychological problems. Most trolls don’t come back after being banned multiple times, at least not with this level of persistence. I’m certainly not qualified to evaluate anyone’s mental health, but this looks like compulsive behavior, and I’m worried that there are deeper issues involved.

Melody
Melody
Sun, Apr 06, 2014 8:57am

Oh how cute, she makes a whole post dedicated to me. You really are a damn bitch! You know what? You know jack shit about film, your reviews are poorly written, no one gives a fuck about your ass. I spit on the face of people like you, you disgust me with your putrid presence in todays society! You onion-skinned old, fail, easilly-offended mistress! You say you have no sympathy, well thats because no one has any sympathy for you old hag. You’re not even a top critic, you pretentious windbag! You’re a drunk burping New-york hack who sits like a goat!

Dani
Dani
Sun, Apr 06, 2014 9:07am

Accept criticism ok cause there is such thing as constructive criticism

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Dani
Sun, Apr 06, 2014 12:29pm

I don’t know what this means. Please explain.

reply to  Dani
Sun, Apr 06, 2014 2:42pm

Plenty of commenters here disagree at times with MaryAnn’s opinion. You can do so without being an asshole or a creep or a thug. Really, it’s possible. Try it.

Lockon Liz
Lockon Liz
Tue, Apr 22, 2014 5:08am

This cartoon puts it well: http://xkcd.com/1357/

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Lockon Liz
Tue, Apr 22, 2014 11:45am

Exactly.

reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Tue, Apr 22, 2014 12:28pm

It reminds me of this scene. Asshole Juror is exercising his right to free speech. But so are the other jurors.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Tue, Apr 29, 2014 1:36pm

So, I was poking around in the archives of someone else I read, who no longer allows commenting on his site at all, and came across the post explaining that: http://www.timwise.org/2010/11/having-to-turn-off-comments-for-a-while-sorry-about-this/
Not suggesting you do that, but I can get why he might. He ends by telling people to feel free to go off and write screeds against him on their own blogs.