first real peek at Peter Capaldi’s Doctor in Doctor Who S8 trailer

TARDIS console on fire means a new TARDIS console set is coming, probably.

In case you were afeared that Moffat wasn’t going to beat the Dalek dead horse some more, you can put those fears aside. Moffat may not have anything new to say about the Daleks, but that’s not gonna stop him from saying it anyway.

Still, I am hopeful for Capaldi’s Doctor. He’s a little bit scary here. That’s a good thing. He also seems like maybe he’s going to be a grownup. That will be a welcome change from the past few years.

Thanks to PJK for the heads-up.

Overflight
Overflight
Mon, Jul 14, 2014 7:26pm

I’m counting the seconds until someone dubs this with Malcolm Tucker’s lines.

Though I think it’s going to be hard to top “HORDES. OF F***ING. ROBOTS”:

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Overflight
Mon, Jul 14, 2014 10:06pm

I wouldn’t mind the Daleks returning if the Doctor could speak that line.

Tonio Kruger
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Tue, Jul 15, 2014 4:28am

I would. ;)

Overflight
Overflight
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Tue, Jul 15, 2014 9:36pm

If I were in Capaldi’s shoes, I’d create the most foul-mouthed outtake reel known to man.

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
reply to  Overflight
Tue, Jul 15, 2014 10:21pm

Shut up and take my money!

Tonio Kruger
reply to  Overflight
Tue, Jul 15, 2014 4:24am

No, it’s not.

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
reply to  Overflight
Tue, Jul 15, 2014 10:23pm

Seriously, I would pay good money to see this version of the 12th Doctor.

Tonio Kruger
reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Wed, Jul 16, 2014 5:28am

One would thought that the films of Adam Sandler would have soured one on the creative use of Anglo-Saxon cusswords. :)

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Tonio Kruger
Wed, Jul 16, 2014 8:39am

Comparing the Sandler persona to Malcolm Tucker is like comparing a paint-by-numbers to the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Tucker is a virtuoso of profanity.

Of course, we’d have to get Armando Iannucci in to write a DW episode…

Tonio Kruger
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Wed, Jul 16, 2014 2:50pm

I can think of many virtuoso performances of profanity ranging from George Carlin’s classic ‘Seven Dirty Words” to Steve Martin’s speech about his rental car in Planes, Trains and Automobiles. However, that Malcolm Tucker video was not one of them.

Of course, your mileage obviously varies, but then if you and I agreed on everything, this would be a dull site.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Tonio Kruger
Wed, Jul 16, 2014 4:07pm

Those are only brief snippets taken out of context.

If you haven’t seen *The Thick of It,* I highly recommend it.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Wed, Jul 16, 2014 6:25pm

Or In The Loop…

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
Mon, Jul 14, 2014 11:23pm

A breakdown by the folks at io9: http://io9.com/everything-we-spotted-in-the-new-doctor-who-trailer-1604526204

Charlie Jane Anders observes, “One Dalek announces somewhat oddly that life returns and life prevails. Which doesn’t seem like a very Dalek-y sentiment.”

Of course, no writer on Doctor Who has had anything “new” to say about the Daleks since Robert Shearman’s “Dalek”, i.e. Series 1 Episode 6. While there seems to a requirement (whether from the showrunners or BBC, I don’t know) to have a Dalek appearance at least once in every series, thankfully they’ve actually only been seen in 18 of the 103 episodes so far, 15 if you discount those where they make basically a cameo: “The Waters of Mars”, “The Beast Below”, “The Wedding of River Song” (where only a Dalek eye-stalk appears, meaning the Daleks were effectively absent from all of Series 6). If you’re keeping score, that’s 9 appearances in the Davies era, and 6 in the Moffat era to date.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Tue, Jul 15, 2014 9:14am

Exactly. And that story seemed to put a finish to the Daleks forever. I wish it had stayed that way.

In the whole seven years of Tom Baker’s reign as the Doctor, the Daleks appeared in only two stories. Two! And that’s when there were a LOT more episodes every year.

I fear that DW is becoming a parody of itself.

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Tue, Jul 15, 2014 8:38pm

Oh, well, if we’re going to identify things by story we can cut revival Dalek appearances down to 11. :)

” And that’s when there were a LOT more episodes every year.”

Well, sort of, but not really. In the Tom Baker era, a season consisted of usually 5 stories, each story consisted of 4 ( occasionally 6) episodes. So that’s roughly 20-24 episodes per season. But, each episodes was only about 25 minutes long. If we round those off to 1/2 hour, that’s 10-12 hours per season. The revived series runs 13 episodes per season, plus a Christmas special. But each is twice as long (about 47 minutes). Round that off to an hour and it’s 14 hours per season.

Also, those episodes each tell an entire story, with the occasional two-parter. So a revived season contains 9 or 11 stories. For comparison, the seven years of Tom Baker, from “Robot” through “Logopolis”, produced 40 stories (39 aired). The seven years of the revival have produced 83 stories from “Rose” through “The Time of the Doctor”.

I’m going to respectfully disagree that the Tom Baker era did a better job in telling fewer stories that took more screen time. I personally find all of the classic series, all 7 Doctors, to be so plodding and lugubrious as to be unwatchable. A lot of that has to do with the visual and narrative vocabulary of 1960s-1990s BBC television. But even still, a lot just seems like long establishing shots, long speeches, and more inexplicable dead air than I can believe. Sometimes it’s like watching a badly rehearsed live broadcast. If I had some real free time on my hands, I’d be curious to see if I could edit some of the old stories down to 50-75 minutes.

“I fear that DW is becoming a parody of itself.”

I think it’s a show whose continued existence, after 50 years and 33 seasons, is driven in large part (if not primarily) by nostalgia. That’s why we see so many Dalek and Cyberman stories, why every series features the return of some classic series alien, why the internet discussion so often involves speculation on things like “Is [insert literally any female character] actually Romana/the Rani?”

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Wed, Jul 16, 2014 8:36am

There’s nothing wrong with nostalgia, but it’s feeling really repetitious lately.

Tonio Kruger
Wed, Jul 16, 2014 7:11pm

The hint at an upcoming crossover between Doctor Who and Primeval seems promising but the reference to a recent Star Trek movie is just tacky. :)