I saw 54 films at this year’s London Film Festival

There were 248 films on offer. So I managed to see a little over 20 percent of them.

During the four-week LFF press screening period (which ended yesterday), I also saw another 17 films that weren’t on at the festival. So, 71 films in four weeks.

I am exhausted. I don’t think I broke my brain, but I definitely sprained it.

Reviews to come…

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Mon, Oct 20, 2014 8:49pm

Damn. Well, we are all looking forward to your thoughts on as many as you can share…no rush, though. Comfrey compresses on your eyes?

rosterri
rosterri
Mon, Oct 20, 2014 11:42pm

Wow, I admire your stamina!

althea
althea
Tue, Oct 21, 2014 6:42pm

Don’t you have to take somebody with you to help you walk when you leave the theatre?

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  althea
Tue, Oct 21, 2014 9:01pm

No guests allowed at LFF press screenings.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Wed, Oct 22, 2014 6:27pm

What if you got them registered as a Service Animal? ;-)

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  LaSargenta
Wed, Oct 22, 2014 10:50pm

They’d still take up a seat that isn’t there to spare. :-)

Beowulf
Beowulf
Wed, Oct 22, 2014 4:59pm

Wow. Great dedication. So, what was the best film you saw?
If a different one, what was the best “Hollywood-type” film on display?

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Beowulf
Wed, Oct 22, 2014 10:49pm

Oh, I’m not sure I could pick favorites. *The Imitation Game* is excellent, in a Hollywood style. *White God,* a bizarre Hungarian black comedy/horror, might be my favorite overall. Or *The Keeping Room,* an American indie horror/action/drama. Or *A Second Chance,* an unforgettable Norwegian drama with an intense performance by Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

Beowulf
Beowulf
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Thu, Oct 23, 2014 4:32pm

Thank you.

jencat
jencat
Wed, Oct 22, 2014 6:00pm

Hee, I did 30 in the twelve days of public screenings this year and I thought that was insane enough (not press, so don’t even have the excuse of it being work. I just like to squish all my arthouse/indie for the year into two weeks and catch some previews). It does do odd things to your brain, but then your brain also gets kind of trained into expecting constant fixes of narrative after a while as well. It also leaves you too hyped to sleep when you get home, which isn’t ideal…

I think the most you can physically do is 44 films with the public screenings (not taking into account all the running between venues. My god the running I did between venues..!).

Fri, Oct 24, 2014 12:49pm

If I watch more than one film in a day, I try to make them very different sorts of film or I start conflating them in my thoughts. That’s an average of more than 2½ a day over the month… I really wouldn’t be able to do them justice.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  RogerBW
Fri, Oct 24, 2014 3:00pm

They mostly were very different films.

There were many three-movie days, and a few four-movie days. Three-movie days aren’t all that unusual for me, but usually there will be only one of those per week, not weeks *full* of them.

Arianna M
Arianna M
Fri, Oct 24, 2014 5:23pm

Did you get to see Rosewater and Goodbye to language? Will these films be ranked accordingly?

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Arianna M
Fri, Oct 24, 2014 8:35pm

Oh, for Christ’s sake. You’re Cupcakes/Rianna Esquivas. You’re banned. Please do not attempt to comment here again.

reply to  MaryAnn Johanson