London photo: crowded Platform 9 3/4

platform934

If you want to get your picture taken at Platform 9 3/4 at King’s Cross Station, you will have to wait a long time. Also: this is nowhere near the actual platforms 9 and 10, which I think ruins the illusion. These fans don’t seem to care, though.

The Harry Potter photo spot used to be between the actual platforms 9 and 10. Then major reconstruction and renovation work at King’s Cross displaced it. Now it’s just a tourist trap. (There’s a Harry Potter shop next to the new photo spot, which also requires you to wait on a long line to get into.)

Thu, Sep 17, 2015 11:16pm

Well, the original was set up as a tourist spot in the first place – it’s not as though there were an actual known bench Rowling was sitting on when she got the idea, or something like that.

But if they’re going to do it, it seems a shame not to do it right.

Jurgan
Fri, Sep 18, 2015 1:49am

Eh, I’d imagine if I lived in the area, I’d get sick of huge lines in the way of my morning commute. I’ve never been to King’s Cross, but I picture having to push through a long line of tourists right in the middle of an already crowded station. Putting it out of the way of the regular platforms is probably more courteous to residents.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Jurgan
Fri, Sep 18, 2015 9:33am

Nah, it’s tucked away in a corner. Which is perhaps why they moved it from between the actual platforms.

Jurgan
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Fri, Sep 18, 2015 2:34pm

Right, that was my point. You said it’s “nowhere near the actual platforms 9 and 10,” but if I were trying to get to one of those, I’d be grateful not to have to fight my way through a bunch of tourists.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Jurgan
Fri, Sep 18, 2015 9:31pm

Ah, okay. My brain is fried these days.

Jurgan
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Fri, Sep 18, 2015 9:46pm

No problem. Enjoy your vacation (sorry, “holiday” since you’re in England) and get defrazzled.