question of the weekend: what’s your favorite movie-related app or site?

What’s your favorite movie-related app or site? And let us in on a secret feature on it or the tool there you use most. Tell us your movie-nerd secrets!

Mine is probably the Internet Movie Database, or IMDb, because it is a veritable font of useful information and wonderful trivia. And here’s my secret for it: Have you ever struggled to remember the name of a movie that Movie Star A and Character Actor B appeared in together, or that film directed by Auteur C starring Working Actor D? From the IMDb page for any person, you can search for whom they’ve been credited with. Just click on Explore More in the Quick Links section:

Scroll down to Credited With and click, and you’ll end up here:

Have fun!

(I’m reviving my “questions” posts — just on a weekend basis — as an experiment, to see if there’s any interest in them. I’m also posting these as free posts at Substack or Patreon. You don’t need to be a paying subscriber at either service if you’d prefer to comment at either of them, but you will need to register with either site to comment.)

David_Conner
David_Conner
Sat, Jul 24, 2021 2:38pm

For me, it’s gotta be the boring answer of “Google and Wikipedia.” But mainly because other tools that I once used have badly deteriorated.

Quite some time ago, I quit using IMDB on a regular basis because it became so overladen with ads and the assumption that I only want to know who the top three actors in a movie are, and don’t really want to know who the production designer or music composer is. Just finding where to click to look up information I know is there somewhere (e.g. shooting locations) has become a chore. And I once used Box Office Mojo quite a bit, but now all the most interesting stuff is behind a paywall.

So for most things, Wikipedia is where I can find stuff out with the least hassle nowadays.

Sat, Jul 24, 2021 11:47pm

I mean, my favorite movie-related site is THIS one, so… :-)

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  Bluejay
Sun, Jul 25, 2021 1:39am

What Bluejay said. But second place would go to the long-since-defunct weloveyouso.com site, which was filled with costumes and music and articles on Miranda July and other material loosely related to Spike Jonze’s very strange adaptation of Where the Wild Things Are.

I still have the tie-in video game on my phone, although it’s no longer playable. It’s a very low-key game. Mostly you just watched the monster nap, but you could also—depending on your disposition—tickle him, rub his tummy, or throw things at him.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Bluejay
Sun, Jul 25, 2021 6:02pm

I wasn’t fishing for compliments, honest! :-)

AG
AG
Sun, Jul 25, 2021 3:12am

Aside from this one, I’d agree that it’s still IMDB, despite the increasingly bad design. I appreciate being able to dig into the things I want (credits, mostly) and to avoid the things I don’t want (the seething urge to correct nonsense on Wikipedia, alas).

althea
althea
Sun, Jul 25, 2021 6:35pm

Concur with IMDB (and from these comments I’m reassured that I haven’t missed out on some other site.) I don’t like the recent change where the big bubbles for the stars take up half the page, but I can still click on “full cast”. In particular I dive into it when I’m seeing somebody I recognize but can’t place, or verifying some detail or other. The Photos help with that a lot, so I can see if a particular person was the same as one in another film or show – very annoying with TV shows when there aren’t any for episodes, usually old ones. This can set off a kind of “IMDB surfing” when I see that someone’s been in this or that, oh, surprise! and that will lead to another discovery. Just last night I was investigating Silent Witness this way. Found some interesting stuff and now I’d like to see the earlier episodes from 1996 forward.

BTW, MaryAnn, I get a huge kick out of seeing all the British actors that have been in other listed shows I see all the time. It would be fun to work up statistics on how many British TV actors started their careers on Casualty, The Bill, and Coronation Street. (And look! I just discovered there was an “Andy Capp” series in the 80s and it starred James Bolam! [From New Tricks!] I have to cut it short or I’ll be here all afternoon.)

Thanks for the info on checking one actor with another, MaryAnn, I used to do that but it used to be different and I never found the changed link.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  althea
Mon, Jul 26, 2021 2:33pm

Same here. I dread the day when the sub pages get ported over to the new design…