the curmudgeonly movie lover’s unpleasant Advent calendar: December 10

All humbug, all the time, for just a click or tap…

Stream The Nightmare Before Christmas:
• Amazon US [rent or buy]
• Disney Plus US [stream]
• Amazon UK [buy]
• Disney Plus UK [stream]

Read my review of The Nightmare Before Christmas.

the curmudgeonly movie lover’s unpleasant Advent calendar

December 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

(This is a rerun of a project I did in 2007. That’s long enough ago that it’s worth bringing back!)
For more cinematic cheer, become a paid Substack or Patreon supporter and get an email every day through January 2, 2022 (and catch up on the ones you’ve missed), recommending a different holiday movie to stream over the festive season.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Thu, Dec 13, 2007 3:21pm

Coooool!

But what’s with the clicking? Or more to the point, “What’s This” with the clicking?

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Fri, Dec 14, 2007 12:09am

What do you mean? Are you not clicking on the DVDs? That’s the whole point, to see what’s inside. Haven’t you ever had an Advent calendar?

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Fri, Dec 14, 2007 5:20pm

I’ve clicked on the DVDs from two different computers and each time all I get is a blank space in return. Is this supposed to be some symbolic commentary on the Christmas experience or are I doing something wrong?

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Fri, Dec 14, 2007 5:24pm

And yes, I’m familiar with the concept of an Advent calendar–my being Catholic and all–but oddly enough, I rarely have had occasion to employ an interactive Advent calendar.

And I find it odd to hear you of all people using that type of terminology.

But, hey, I have a lot of similar contradictions in my life too…

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Sat, Dec 15, 2007 1:49am

You should be getting an image of the inside of a DVD jewel case with a quote from the movie. I can’t imagine why you aren’t getting it. Perhaps you don’t have javascript enabled?

And I find it odd to hear you of all people using that type of terminology.

I like counting down the days to the pagan welcoming of the winter solstice.

Steve Gagen
Steve Gagen
Fri, Dec 10, 2021 2:32pm

The advent calendar works fine for me, on multiple platforms – Android, PC and iPad. And behind today’s door is just about my favourite film about Christmas. I have watched it numerous times – not just at Christmastime either!
I have loved Tom Burton’s films since I first saw Beetlejuice. And I agree, this is him at his most personal and self-revealing!
Zero is every dog you ever had as a kid – and Sally is your first love, so sweet and innocent.
I will be putting this film on the Blu-ray player once again before too long!