loaded question: what movie have you seen the most times in its initial theatrical run?

The Fugitive Harrison Ford

This week’s question is shamelessly stolen from a tweet by Julia Marchese:

What movie have you seen the most times in its initial theatrical run?

I think for me it must be 1993’s The Fugitive, starring Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones. It’s a terrific film, of course — one of the rare perfect movies, even — but there are lots of great movies that I haven’t seen as many times. I wasn’t having a great time at work that summer (I was at my last corporate job, in publishing in New York, one I would eventually quit in despair), and was incredibly stressed out. The movie was very popular that summer and into the fall, and it was playing all that time in a little multiplex around the corner from where I lived in the East Village. There were many days when I’d be walking home from work and think, Well, I’ll just pop in and see ‘The Fugitive’ again on my way. Like how you’d stop to pick up some milk. I’m not even sure how many times I saw it like that, but it must be a dozen at least.

Your turn…

(You can also discuss this at Substack or Patreon, if you prefer. You don’t need to be a paying subscriber to comment, but you will need to register with either site to do so.)

If you haven’t commented here before, your first comment will be held for MaryAnn’s approval. This is an anti-spam, anti-troll, anti-abuse measure. If your comment is not spam, trollish, or abusive, it will be approved, and all your future comments will post immediately. (Further comments may still be deleted if spammy, trollish, or abusive, and continued such behavior will get your account deleted and banned.)
Beowulf
Beowulf
patron
moviegoer
Mon, Aug 15, 2022 8:33pm

Oliver!

djconner@gmail.com
djconner@gmail.com
patron
moviegoer
Mon, Aug 15, 2022 8:46pm

Star Wars for me, four times. There are a bunch of movies I’ve seen twice in theaters, but I’ve seldom had the variables of mobility, money, and time converge in a way that might encourage multiple theatrical viewings.

Danielm80D
Danielm80
movie lover
Mon, Aug 15, 2022 10:08pm

The movie I saw the most often in its original theatrical run was probably The Great Muppet Caper. The movie I’ve seen the most times altogether is probably Labyrinth, which also involves Muppets, but it’s in close competition with The Princess Bride–which might have been improved by Muppets.

film buff
Mon, Aug 15, 2022 10:13pm

I’ve loved and rewatched a lot of films in their initial run, but usually no more than twice. But for some reason I just had to go back to see Mad Max: Fury Road, I think four times. A perfect, astounding film.

stucifer
stucifer
moviegoer
Wed, Aug 17, 2022 2:51am

I can’t think of a single film I have seen more than once in its theatrical run. A combination of the expense, the distance to the cinema (I live in a rural area, so I have to plan out cinema trips), and my desire to see as many films as I can has kept me from double-dipping, I guess.

patron
movie lover
Wed, Aug 17, 2022 4:52pm

Back to the Future, the first one – must have been four or five times. Certainly I knew it to the point where I could remember what the next scene would be, but I still enjoyed it every time.

Mark Donahue
Mark Donahue
Fri, Aug 19, 2022 2:49pm

Even back when i was young and saw movies way more I dont think I ever saw a movie more than maybe twice in a theater. I’m mostly a one and done kind of guy.