trailer break: ‘Beer for My Horses’

Take a break from work: watch a movie trailer…

Yee-haw! Rednecks is so funny, Mexicans is after our white wimmen, and monster trucks is good for makin’ a man of certain limited endowments feel like a man! Also: vigilante justicks is a helluva good time! Also also: Toby Keith ain’t nuthin’ but white trash with money. (No, really, he says so his own self.)

Beer for My Horses opens in limited release August 8.

(Technorati tags: , )

Bill
Bill
Thu, Aug 07, 2008 5:30pm

Rodney Carrington is a funny SoB. And Willie Nelson makes an appearance. This will be terrible, but in a good way, I think.

amanohyo
amanohyo
Thu, Aug 07, 2008 6:10pm

Dear God, it’s an action movie for the red states… as if all the others weren’t oozing anachronistic machismo out of every scene. I knew them Mexicans was all a buncha druggies and hoodlums. They’re kidnappin’ arr wimmun. Time to run down thur ‘n gitter back. Show em what a rull ‘merican cundoo in a rull ‘merican truck. Yee haw! Even if I was in the target demographic, I would be insulted by this trailer.

If it really turns out to be terrible in a good way, I’ll eat a John Deere riding mower.

amanohyo
amanohyo
Thu, Aug 07, 2008 6:13pm

Oops MA, I didn’t notice your commentary below the trailer. Sorry about the redundancy. I guess us liberals really are pinko-commie automotons.

JoshB
JoshB
Fri, Aug 08, 2008 12:40am

From “Beer For My Horses” the song:
Grand pappy told my pappy back in my day, son
A man had to answer for the wicked that he’d done
Take all the rope in Texas
Find a tall oak tree, round up all of them bad boys
Hang them high in the street
For all the people to see

Christ Almighty, let’s lynch us some wetbacks. FOR LOU DOBBS!!!

Accounting Ninja
Accounting Ninja
Fri, Aug 08, 2008 9:29am

Oh. My. God. This is a joke, right?! I’m actually laughing, this looks so awful.

“Vigilante justice: it’s a real BLAST.”

And, come on!! What’s with the “girl”?? She needs to have bleach blonde hair and acid-wash jeans and look like she actually belongs in that town like everyone else. Another example of a shclub with ZERO SEX APPEAL getting what looked to me to be some European model affecting a “sweet southern accent, y’all”.

That “adorable” scene with him leering and smirking at her like a pervert from his truck and her simpering and smiling like a schoolgirl made my gorge rise.

It’s like showing Heidi Klum getting all hot for Larry the Cable Guy. DO NOT WANT.

JoshDM
JoshDM
Fri, Aug 08, 2008 10:15am

Rodney Carrington? I’m THERE.

Deanne
Deanne
Fri, Aug 08, 2008 10:51am

Oww! My eyes!

It must be awful to a hardcore red state conservative these days. The angst. The guilt. The confusion. The unshakeable feeling that you’ve got something to prove. I know! Why don’t you make a movie about how proud and awesome and badass and unapologetic you are! You can have two doofuses drive monster trucks and hunt Mexicans and bang some hot chicks. Suh-WEET! Don’t forget to cast Willie Nelson. Those libruls love him and they won’t bother you none if Willie’s in your movie.

Dana
Dana
Fri, Aug 08, 2008 11:08am

Willie sings the song “Beer for my Horses” with Toby Keith, unfortunately. I was saddened a couple of years ago when it was released, as normally Mr. Nelson seems to have a bit better judgement.

Jurgan
Jurgan
Sat, Aug 09, 2008 11:51pm

I actually like the song. Toby Keith’s talented, but he’s kind of crazy with his politics. I still haven’t forgiven him for that “boot in your ass” song, but he claims that was about how his father would feel rather than how he himself felt. I doubt many listeners interpreted it with that level of subtlety. I just can’t figure him out: he claims to be a “conservative Democrat” who was against the Iraq war, yet he participates in the tarring and feathering of those who are against the war. It’s like he thinks it’s okay to have differing opinions, but expressing them publicly is unpatriotic. I don’t know. But anyway, I do enjoy the song this is based on, because it’s basically just a sort of fun tune, and I don’t really worry that much about the vigilante themes. It’s got an old western kind of feel. Oh, and there’s nothing at all racist in it. The movie, of course, I can’t speak for. Who knows.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Wed, Aug 13, 2008 6:31pm

I actually used to like Toby Keith back when he first started out, but now I wonder why I ever bothered to listen to him.

As for the movie, the trailer makes it look like a cross between the world’s worst episode of Walker: Texas Ranger and the world’s worst remake of Rio Bravo–only instead of evil ranchers, we get evil drug dealers.

Is it racist? Not really, unless you believe the very notion that Spanish-surnamed people sometimes sell drugs and perform other illegal actions to be racist. And frankly, we have enough problems with real-life racism without going that far.

However, the movie’s not something I’d voluntarily go see, either. Even if the producers gave away winning lottery tickets.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Wed, Aug 13, 2008 6:35pm

Mexicans is after our white wimmen.
–MaryAnn Johanson

You really shouldn’t give me a straight line like that.

Accounting Ninja
Accounting Ninja
Wed, Aug 13, 2008 9:08pm

Yeah, but Tonio, it was HOW it was said:

“You remember that Mexican guy you arrested?”

Not, “Hey, remember that guy Cortez you arrested?” (Or, whatever. Heh, I don’t know his name…)

It looks like Crocodile Dundee 2 with rednecks. Good lord.

Accounting Ninja
Accounting Ninja
Wed, Aug 13, 2008 9:11pm

Also, question of the evening:

Is the beer being traded for his horses, or is he looking to get his horses drunk?

Eh? Think about that.

Bill
Bill
Thu, Aug 14, 2008 9:23am

Ninja – He would like to give his horses cold beer as a reward for battling evil forces. His men get whiskey. I have no information regarding what his dogs will be drinking.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Thu, Aug 14, 2008 5:16pm

Yeah, but Tonio, it was HOW it was said:

“You remember that Mexican guy you arrested?”

–Accounting Ninja

Wait a sec.

When they forget the guy’s name and refer to him as “that Mexican guy,” it’s racism?

But when you do it, it’s an understandable mistake?

I would agree that there’s a lot of racism in Texas and Hollywood, but if we’re going to start defining racism that way, we’re just going to make the fight against racism just that much harder. And this from someone who usually has a hairtrigger temper when it comes to Hispanophobic stereotypes.

I applaud your good intentions though.

And for what it’s worth, my best friend, my favorite ex-girlfriend and my current brother-in-law are all Southern Wasps, so please excuse me if I’m not impressed by comments about how bigoted the damn rednecks are.

The irony of people going on and on about the rednecks while complaining about bigotry is amusing but at times exasperating.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Thu, Aug 14, 2008 11:53pm

Tonio:

Would you say that the white characters depicted in that trailer are not meant to be “rednecks”?

Would you say that that trailer does not mean to suggest that the film will play upon fears some people have of “the Other”?

I’m just wondering. I think your beef may be with the movie. I agree that racism is a problem. I don’t think movies like this one help much, and even hurt.

Accounting Ninja
Accounting Ninja
Fri, Aug 15, 2008 2:17pm

Whoa, I just want to make one thing clear: I don’t like knee-jerk cries of offense either (like the Tropic Thunder protesters: please.)

Also, understand that I only have the trailer to go on, and the impression it immediately makes on me. No more, no less. Maybe the movie is not racist. But, to me, the impression I got was “wow”, for two reasons:

1)the guy’s name may not seem like a huge deal. But why use speech emphasis to put “Mexican” in the listener’s mind? Why not say, “remember that scumbag you arrested?” Subtle choices of writing DO matter, and I pick up on it. Whether intended or not, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

2)All the “heroes” are glaring white redneck stereotypes. (I think the trailer was also offensive to them as well, but since they were depicted as the good guys, it struck me as less distasteful.) They were all white, without exception. Not to mention the nubile white girl they pillage (my gripes with this are in a whole ‘nuther category).

It is all about personal interpretation, though. I’m not railing against the racism (the trailer was far too silly for me to really get mad at) but it did make me roll my eyes.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Sat, Aug 16, 2008 10:09am

–MaryAnn Johanson

True. I hate to admit it but it’s true.

–MaryAnn Johanson

It could. But unfortunately that could be said about a lot of Hollywood films–including some that have been praised on this site. And given the fact that one of the critically acclaimed films of last year was a movie about a relentless Mexican assassin which also can be said to play upon fears some people have of “the Other,” one can’t but wonder if this is so different.

Its intended audience, perhaps?

I would hardly argue that we need more films about Latino drug dealers. But I would also argue that inclusion of such a character is not necessarily racist.

But then I’ve seen a lot of bad movie stereotypes in the last two decades–worse even than the ones in this trailer–so perhaps I have a bad case of outrage fatigue (to borrow a term from another poster).

–Acoounting Ninja

Fair enough.

A lot of things leave a bad taste in my mouth ranging from the average op-ed on Fox News to the dumb Mexican characters in Napoleon Dynamite.

But given the number of unkind synonyms for “Mexican guy” that are out there, I could not help but find it funny to see such a fuss made about that term. After all, “Mexican guy” is not exactly the type of term one expects to hear from a white Mexican-hating racist.

And it’s especially unusual to hear the charge of racism used when the very use of the term in that scene implies that the lawmen arrest so few Hispanics in that town that the lawmen need need not identify an arrested Mexican by name.

But then perhaps I’m being overly optimistic.

Anyway, I’ve seen better and I’ve seen worse and the one thing I will agree with you and Maryann about is that this is not a movie that’s worth seeing under any circumstances.

If it makes you feel better, I really really really really hated Toby Keith’s song “What Happens in Mexico Stays in Mexico.”

And I’m not too crazy about his more recent work either. And yes, I’ve always wondered about the meaning of that “Beer for My Horses” song too…

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Sat, Aug 16, 2008 10:14am

I meant “one can’t help but wonder why this is so different,” not “if”.

And there’s only meant to be one “need” in that “lawmen need not identify” sentence.

Apparently my proofreaders are not as efficient as they should be…

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Sat, Aug 16, 2008 11:15am

Of course not. But considering the apparent context in this case, it seems likely that it may be. In fact, it seems likely that, considering the way the film is presented in this trailer, the intended audience will be disappointed if it *isn’t* racist. Not that they’d see it as “racist,” of course — just proudly “American.”