trailer break: ‘Push’

Take a break from work: watch a movie trailer…

Um, how is this different from X-Men and Heroes? And Firestarter? Crap, Dakota Fanning even looks like Drew Barrymore a bit, doesn’t she?

I’m just wondering. Cuz in almost any other job in the world, if you were to go in to your boss’s office and say, “Look, see that really cool job that other guy did? I wanna do it all over again and pretend it was all my idea,” your boss would laugh you out on your ass. But in Hollywood, this is approvingly called “high concept,” when you can say, “This movie I wanna make is just like that other movie that’s really popular, and we’re not even gonna fake like we don’t know it.”

It’s the “creating an army” part that’s different, isn’t it? Or maybe the part where Dakota Fanning knows they’re gonna die?

I bet they don’t die. I bet at the very last minute, Dakota Fanning suddenly understands how she was misunderinterpreting her vision of their death, or everyone decides that their fate is in their own hands and they’re not gonna be ruled by anything so dumb as quantum inevitability, or something.

Ah! See! Right there at the end of the trailer, Dakota Fanning says they’re gonna change the ending of the story.

I so called that.

Push opens in the U.S. on February 6, and in the U.K. on February 20.

JasonJ
JasonJ
Fri, Jan 30, 2009 12:09pm

Okay, it does have a bit of Heros-osity to it. I’ll still watch it, I am sure it has some degree of entertainment value to it. And Dakota Fanning is getting old too fast. She’s what, 20 now?

I love the PG-13 warning: “For intense sequences of violence and Action, Brief strong language, Smoking and a scene of teen drinking.” So I guess an episode of “Mad Men” should be rated R, they smoke, drink, and screw their asses off.

Drew
Drew
Fri, Jan 30, 2009 12:52pm

The difference is, Heroes and X-men took all their power ideas from the Marvel universe, where as Push has a whole bunch of powers that Star Wars Jedi have, except each person only has one. It’s all about where you get the ideas from…

the rook
the rook
Fri, Jan 30, 2009 6:09pm

x-men? heroes? firestarter?

funny – i thought this movie was a second attempt at doing ‘jumper’, but with a different superpower. and likely to be equally as good.

ss13
ss13
Sun, Feb 01, 2009 4:44am

The difference with X-Men/StarWars is, of course that they are subverted: not “bad extremists/Sith” plotting against the “good order”, “good Sith” against “bad Jedi”.
And basically, all ideas were used up long ago. It’s the implementation that matters. Oh and in business, taking inspirations from the others is tradition.

Paul
Paul
Sun, Feb 01, 2009 4:44pm

I heard a pro-writer tell a worried wannabe writer that Shakespeare had already done everything and did it the best and even he stole ideas, so stop worrying about originality and tell your version of a story well.

Mark
Mark
Mon, Feb 02, 2009 7:10pm

And basically, all ideas were used up long ago.

I disagree totally. Execution is still what matters, but there is still vast acerage of ideas left, and there always will be.

Think of it this way: if all ideas were used up, what was the last original story?

drew ryce
drew ryce
Mon, Feb 02, 2009 11:57pm

I have nothing but affection for the classic Marvel comics. But, if you want to get to the source material, you have to go back farther.

I suggest that you read “More Than Human”: http://www.amazon.com/More-Than-Human-Theodore-Sturgeon/dp/0375703713/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233636434&sr=1-1

The basics for Heros’, X-Men, and, apparently, Push are all found in this one terrific sci-fi novel (first published in 1953).