trailer break: ‘X-Men Origins: Wolverine’

Take a break from work: watch a movie trailer…

So all through this trailer I’m thinking, Is that Liev Schreiber? And then, at the end, it’s clear that it is. And that is seriously cool. There really is no one our age (he’s two years older than me) who isn’t a comic book geek, is there?

I love the Dark Knight vibe here: the haunted childhood, all the bad things that’ve shaped our boy. I guess there are no mutant superheroes who grew up happy, either. So it’s always with the desire for revenge lingering and driving them, eh?

Couple questions: Is that a young Cyclops and a young Storm making an appearance here? And how is it that Hugh Jackman looks like he’s hulked out without FX? Did he work out 24/7 for a year in preparation for this role? Yikes.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine opens in the U.S. on May 1; no U.K. release date has been announced yet (though it’ll probably be the same day).

JoshDM
JoshDM
Mon, Jan 05, 2009 12:40pm

Certainly it’s inconsistent with the X-Men movies (Sabretooth, for example), and it’s probably going to be horrible, but the trailer makes it look like it will at least be somewhat fun.

JoshDM
JoshDM
Mon, Jan 05, 2009 12:51pm

To answer your questions, the mutant characters are (in order of appearance):
Wolverine (obviously)
Line-Swinging Dude (possibly back-shot of Gambit)
Blob
Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds – expect a tumor-covered face/body eventually – I think he’s bare-chested spin-kicking Wolverine at 1:50)
Black Dude in a Cowboy Hat
Asian Lady (probably Lady Deathstrike from X-2)
Gambit (card/pole dude)
Schreibertooth (not a hair-covered lumbering bear like in X-Men)
I don’t know who the frozen child is.
Black girl, blonde hair is very likely little Storm / Ororo. Her pre-meeting Wolverine here is not improbable.
Ice-coated blonde woman is probably White Queen / Emma Frost. That would be diamond then, not ice; an ability she developed much later than her original manipulative psychic abilities.

I didn’t see Cyclops at all (unless he was the frozen child); the fighting boy we saw was Wolverine.

The

JoshDM
JoshDM
Mon, Jan 05, 2009 12:55pm

I do not know who that man is who is smirking at 0:36, right before my Lady Deathstrike guess.

My guess at the kid at 1:47 is Wolverine himself.

t6
t6
Mon, Jan 05, 2009 1:00pm

Personal Sharing Time!

So I’m your age. And I am a comic book geek. But…

but…

I always feel a bit alienated from my fellow comic book geeks because I was a different sort of comic book geek. With the exception of the 1970s/80 Ghost Rider and Marvel UK’s Captain Britain by Alan Moore, I didn’t read Marvel. So…I read none of the X-titles. (I later picked up Excalibur for a year or so because of Captain Britain). Most of the hero titles were low on my list. I really didn’t read much Batman…and Superman rarely, Wonder Woman every once in a while. Did the Teen Titan their first few years. But…

I was the DC fan who was reading House of Mystery, House of Secrets, The Witching Hour. Who read The Shadow. Then went on to the fantasy titles: Arion: Lord of Atlantis, Warlord, Amethyst: Princess of Gemworld. Then I moved over to things like Ms. Tree, Love & Rockets.

I’ve got boxes and boxes of comic books at home. All in bags and alphabetized. I could tell you all about I…Vampire. But somehow…because my comic book geekdom was never heavy on the hero books…I sort of get excluded from comic geekdom.

It’s strange.

JoshDM
JoshDM
Mon, Jan 05, 2009 2:21pm

You’re not a super-hero comic reader; you’re more the “pulpy” Conan type. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

If you wanted to “do” super-heroes, you might appreciate the recent Marvel series “The Twelve”, or the not-so-recent DC series “Starman” (the one from the ’90s, not the one from the ’80s). Additionally, Marvel’s “Agents of Atlas” might be your speed.

D
D
Mon, Jan 05, 2009 2:59pm

I,for once, am more of a Vertigo and Dark Horse fan(The Sandman, Lucifer, Ex. Machina, The Goon, etc.). Yes, I know that Vertigo belongs to DC, but let’s face it, it’s a whole different game. I mostly stick to the writer’s I like (Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Brian K. Vaughan,…). I started with DC and Marvel, though, and I don’t ignore a good Batman or Wolverine story once in a while.
Speaking of which, that scene at the beginning in the mansion, when his claws pop out for the first time, seems to be directly taken from “Wolverine: Origin”. I hope they get it right, because I absolutely loved that mini-series.
Also, Gambit used to be one of my favorite Marvel character’s. I hope they get him right, too.

t6
t6
Mon, Jan 05, 2009 4:27pm

I quite like Shade the Changing Man…and currently I’m reading 100 Bullets. So Vertigo is on my list.

But I have the same experience with Sci-Fi & Fantasy. My geek friends are book heavy…and I’m TV & Film heavy in my Sci-Fi/Fantasy leanings. Hawk the Slayer? Saw it. Otherworld? Yep. Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone? In 3-D!

V!!!!!

But I don’t know my Heinlein. Though I know my LeGuin.

It’s a weird thing to be a geek, but not exactly share the same language as your fellow geeks.

Mel
Mel
Mon, Jan 05, 2009 8:35pm

According to some men’s magazine in the doctor’s office, basically.

Oooh, this looks like some cheesy fun.

Hdj
Hdj
Mon, Jan 05, 2009 9:56pm

I’m mad at this trailer, why, because the title looks like one those In the works titles. Plus I heard rumors of Omega Red Being in the movie and like Where is he? Can some one tell me why Omega Red’s not in the movie?
And the guy they got playing Sabertooth is a shitty of a pick as Kelsy Grammar for beast in that wretched x3 movie. He’s like “sSsss look at my fake ass fangs”.
You Hope they got Gambit right? He looks like the guy from Creed or something, that ain’t gambit.

And if this is Share time I hate Brian K. Vaughans work ok Y: the last man ,Runaways , whatever else he does is stilted bunk!
and I got the right book for someone whos comic book challenged if you want SuperHeroes yet you like the Sword and Sorcery you go with Thor the guys a superhero and a viking, thats 2 birds one stone.
Best comic book writers right now Garth Ennis, Mark Miller and Dan Slott ( he’s working on Spiderman at the moment he’s quite humorous), and Brian Michael Bendis

stuart
Tue, Jan 06, 2009 7:59am

I’m down with Vertigo, Alan Moore et al, but only really ‘comicky’ comic I read seriously in my childhood was Green Lantern.

Am I the only person around excited/terrified at the prospect of the film that’s supposedly due out in 2010? I suddenly realise why comic book fans start trembling instead of frothing at the mouth when a new adaptation is announced – it’s called What If They Get It Wrong?

I just wish I could march up to the relevant writer and slam the four best stories ever written about Green Lantern down on the table and make them promise to stick to those…

guy
guy
Tue, Jan 06, 2009 2:05pm

the lady at 0:36 is silver fox the smirking guy is shaman the frozen boy is jason stryker (going by of the movie X-MEN2) the lady at the cabin with wolverine which i suspect is the one whom sabertooth kills is called native/feral the lady you think of as the white queen/emma frost is more likely diamond lil the black fellow with the cowboyhat is familiar but it escapes me at the moment

artkid
artkid
Mon, Mar 23, 2009 12:59pm

The person that everyone suspects is lady deathstrike is not, its agent Zero

amanohyo
amanohyo
Mon, Mar 23, 2009 1:53pm

Whenever I see Wolverine and Sabretooth together in these trailers, I get horrible Kate and Leopold flashbacks. That movie was a load of rich creamery butter.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Mon, Mar 23, 2009 1:57pm

Wolverine and Sabretooth tearing through *Kate & Leopold* is a version of *Kate & Leopold* I would have loved to see.

Paul
Paul
Mon, Mar 23, 2009 6:29pm

Geekdom is such a vast kingdom it is perfectly natural that geeks might only have vaguly overlapping knowledge. Sometimes a fellow geek is talking about computers or comics, and I basically understand them enough to know what they are talking about but often not enough to hold up my end of the conversation. But as a result of listening to such friends talk among themselves, I end up knowing a lot more about computers and comics than most people, which isn’t saying very much, I know, but you get my point. I’m more of an old fashioned history buff, novel reading, chess playing, ex-paper and pen RPG gamer, but I branch out.

Pedro
Pedro
Thu, Apr 30, 2009 7:46am

Yeah, it’s Cyclops and Storm. And there’s loads of other cameos :)

The interesting thing is we buy Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth, even though we know there’s no way he could have grown up to be Tyler Mane (as seen in the X-Movies).

Pedro
Pedro
Thu, Apr 30, 2009 1:20pm

Here’s who I recognized:

Wolvie
Sabretooth
Dead-friggin’-“oh-my-god-he’s-so-cool”-pool
Storm (little girl playing with ice in one of the cages)
Cyclops (teenager in red sunglasses, later blindfolded).
Pyro (straw-haired boy coming out of one of the cages)
Toad (pasty-complexioned boy swatting his tongue in one of the cages)
Gambit
Professor X
The Blob

I have no idea who this Zero guy is, or who Will.I.Am is supposed to be playing. As for Wolvie’s girlfriend’s sister, I was wondering exactly who she was. I thought she may have been Mystique, but Emma Frost makes much more sense.

As for Kayla…I’m lost on her. Was she even in Origins?

By the way, I had no idea Wolvie and ‘tooth were 150+ years old. Talk about keeping young…