trailer break: ‘Star Trek’ trailer 2

Take a break from work: watch a trailer…

I posted the first trailer ages back, but I really, really so cannot wait to see this movie that I’m posting another trailer, just because I can.

Watching this makes me realize how much I miss Star Trek. Which doesn’t mean I’m not gonna treat this with the same equal measures of reverence and snark that I can’t help but approach things I love so deeply even though I know they’re silly. So my heart can break when I hear Bruce Greenwood (*sigh* Bruce Greenwood) say:

Your father was captain of a starship for 12 minutes…

because, wow, that’s a lot of eerie poignancy for one short sentence. But then I can easily move on to noting that, when we learn via dramatic intoning that Kirk is capable of deciding his own destiny, all I can hear is “I am your density!”

Or this: Hey, looks like Spock’s got himself a little girlfriend there, eh?

Or this: This gonna be the first time Kirk takes a captain’s chair? While he’s on some sort of training mission or something, and absolutely everyone else dies?

What an arrogant prick.

But that’s why we love him, right?

Star Trek opens in the U.S. and in the U.K. on May 8, 2009.

Hank Graham
Hank Graham
Mon, Apr 27, 2009 3:50pm

Does anyone know where the music comes from? I like it a lot.

Barb
Barb
Mon, Apr 27, 2009 4:52pm

I’m looking forward to this one as well – 2nd movie I’ll be seeing this year. Zachary is looking good as Spock and Bruce and another favorite of mine.

SaintAndy
SaintAndy
Mon, Apr 27, 2009 5:20pm

Does anyone know where the music comes from? I like it a lot.

The music was composed by Two Steps from Hell, which apparently is a group specialized in writing music for trailers. The song is called “Freedom Fighters” and it can be found on the Legend album.

On another note, this is my first comment on the site, although I have been a fan of MaryAnn for quite some time now.

I am also totally looking forward to Star Trek. If it sucks, just like Wolverine unfortunately did, I can still console myself with Simon Pegg (I still can’t believe he’s in Star Trek!)

Martin
Martin
Mon, Apr 27, 2009 5:34pm

They’ve also used Down with the Enterprise in the trailers (Damn you SaintAndy!!!)

PaulW
PaulW
Mon, Apr 27, 2009 10:39pm

There’s a bit of an industry of people who make only trailer music. There’s this group, Two Steps From Hell, there’s another called X-Ray Dog that I know. They specialize in these 1-2 minute Orff-esque pieces, because there’s only so many times you can use “O Fortuna” in a trailer… ;)

PaulW
PaulW
Mon, Apr 27, 2009 10:43pm

If Captain Pike came to me and said “I dare you to do better. Enlist in Starfleet,” I’d sign up in a heartbeat. And then get drummed out by the service because I’m too much of a wimp. :)

Newbs
Mon, Apr 27, 2009 11:54pm

I’m getting excited. It will be great for Star Trek to be something good again… fingers crossed!

Mischief Maker
Mischief Maker
Tue, Apr 28, 2009 5:54am

I see they’ve excised the scene of lil’ Kirk driving a car off a cliff like a dumbass from this new trailer.

I’m so glad they’re putting the entire Trek franchise through a reboot so we can have a movie about 90210 Kirk punching a pudgy Nosferatu on frikkin’ orbital laser beam that’s blowing up Vulcan.

Because all the best Star Trek stories are about monologing megalomaniacs who will destroy the world unless they’re stopped by Kirk’s lightning-fast reflexes. Like Edith Keeler.