Well, lookee that — nothing new can trump the cartoon juggernaut:
1. Monsters vs. Aliens: £2 million (3rd week; drops 27%)
1. Fast & Furious: £1.9 million (2nd week; drops 61%)
3. 17 Again: £1.8 (2nd week; drops 31%)
4. I Love You, Man: £1.1 million (NEW)
5. Crank: High Voltage: £.55 million (NEW)
(actual numbers, not estimates)
In its third week, Monsters vs. Aliens is back at No. 1. Go, monsters, I guess. But neither Paul Rudd’s nice guy nor Jason Statham’s bad ass could beat a 50-foot tall girl (and Statham has home-field advantage). Interesting.
Overall box office is up 47 percent over last year, and yet Race to Witch Mountain, though it dropped only 19 percent in its second week, could muster only £469,034 for the No. 7 slot.
I dunno what that means, except that I want to go back to London again… soon.
[numbers via UK Film Council]