cool ‘District 9’ bus-shelter ad

Speaking of District 9, this very cool ad for the film showed up on a bus shelter in my neighborhood recently:

It doesn’t look like a movie ad at all, especially from a bit of a distance — it looks like an artifact from a world where aliens are here and humans are afraid of them:

Neat.

bzero
Tue, Jul 14, 2009 6:48pm

hee! I love “in character” ads. Clever.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Wed, Jul 15, 2009 9:03am

I saw this, too! (Except in my neighborhood. Maybe we live in the same one.)

My (7 y.o.) son asked why “Humans only”. I told him I was pretty sure it was an ad for a movie, tv show, or video game; but, then I asked him if we really did have non-humans here trying to take the bus, what would he think should happen. His answer: “Well, as long as they fit on the bus and have metro cards, I think they should get to ride the bus. Maybe they have somewhere to go.” :)

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Wed, Jul 15, 2009 9:07am

I just looked closer at your photos. I live on the LES. Definately not the same neighborhood.

Victor Plenty
Victor Plenty
Wed, Jul 15, 2009 3:36pm

LaSargenta for the child-raising win! There may be hope for us humans yet.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Wed, Jul 15, 2009 4:13pm

I’ve never made any secret of the fact that I live in the Bronx.

That bus shelter was near the end of the No. 4 train in Woodlawn. (The ad is gone now, BTW.)

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Wed, Jul 15, 2009 4:14pm

His answer: “Well, as long as they fit on the bus and have metro cards,

I love that his answer doesn’t assume that nonhumans would be human-sized. Smart kid!

JoshB
JoshB
Wed, Jul 15, 2009 5:02pm

Wow, those are loose criteria. I would at least stipulate that they not be allowed to glue us to walls, latch onto our faces and deposit their young in our esophagi.

And if you’ve ever watched Predator 2 you already know that aliens tend to disregard the metro card requirement.

Victor Plenty
Victor Plenty
Wed, Jul 15, 2009 5:16pm

The ad is gone now? As in replaced with a different ad? Or “gone” as in simply missing, and possibly added to somebody’s private collection of illicitly acquired Hollywood memorabilia?

(Not that I’m accusing anybody who frequents this site, in case you were wondering.)

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Wed, Jul 15, 2009 5:36pm

No, gone as in replaced by another ad.

But now there are even cooler ones actually on the sides of buses. I’ll try to get an image of one of those.

La Sargenta
La Sargenta
Thu, Jul 16, 2009 11:44am

You know, I refuse to live in fear, even in movie-land. I’m thinking more Man Who Fell To Earth. Or even Alien Nation or Cocoon.

Besides, we already have beings that do that: They are called Medical Insurance Adjusters. And friends of mine who do animal resuce tell me that dipping kittens in glue is shockingly common. Haven’t yet met a kitten who’d do that to me.

Pogo: “We Have Met the Enemy and He Is Us.”

Lady Christina de Souza did, too.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Thu, Jul 16, 2009 11:50am

I’ve never made any secret of the fact that I live in the Bronx.

I’m quite sure you haven’t; but, I have a head like a sieve sometimes and, well, I wrote before thinking.

Apologies. I’ll never make that mistake again.

U know, I quite like the Bronx. 3 different geologic “units” (as they’re called) come together up there. Did you know the Grand Concourse is a fault line? Not tectonic, just between rock masses. You won’t get earthquakes on it, but that’s why it is high up.