trailer break: ‘The Time Traveler’s Wife’

Take a break from work: watch a trailer…

Love the book by Audrey Niffenegger. Trying not to think about all the ways the movie could screw it up.

On the plus side, Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana are mega charming, and though he’s not in the trailer, Ron Livingston is in the film too. (Two of my boyfriends in one movie is always a treat.)

On the negative side, director Robert Schwentke is responsible for Flightplan… though to be fair, that’s not a badly directed film, just a badly written one. So with good source material, he should do fine, no?

Trying very very hard not to think about all the ways this could get screwed up…

The Time Traveler’s Wife opens in the U.S. and the U.K. on August 14.

If you haven’t commented here before, your first comment will be held for MaryAnn’s approval. This is an anti-spam, anti-troll, anti-abuse measure. If your comment is not spam, trollish, or abusive, it will be approved, and all your future comments will post immediately. (Further comments may still be deleted if spammy, trollish, or abusive, and continued such behavior will get your account deleted and banned.)
bronxbee
bronxbee
Wed, Jul 08, 2009 11:20am

the ways this could be screwed up:

step one: cast eric bana as henry.

Deanne
Deanne
Wed, Jul 08, 2009 3:56pm

Eric Bana is almost exactly how I pictured Henry when I read the book. I think he’s a very fine actor, and if this thing is awful it won’t be his fault.

Ron Livingston, on the other hand, is nothing at all like the Gomez I pictured. My Gomez was more of a simpering Paul Bettany type. But I love Ron and I think he’ll be fine too.

If I’m wary at all, it’s because of Feast of Love. The Charles Baxter novel is one of my favorite books of all time, and the 2007 movie was painfully mediocre. It really turned me off to adaptations of contemporary novels.

y
y
Wed, Jul 08, 2009 4:26pm

So I guess I’m in the minority in that I hated the book. The movie looks pretty sappy from this trailer too. Don’t really have any opinion on the casting though.. kind of surprised that they made a movie of this. Not because I didn’t like the book, but because it seemed a little bit odd story-wise to do so. Color me surprised.

Althea
Althea
Wed, Jul 08, 2009 4:52pm

I loved the book and am looking forward to the movie, in fact because it’s a little bit odd story-wise. I must be very visual-brained because when the books I’m absorbed in spring to life, I want very badly to see them, to see how that conversation took place, what kind of expression would I have had on my face?, show me the forest scene, what kind of trees are there? Partly, of course, it’s: What did the writer see? Partly it’s: How would this happen if it were real life?

It’s just a psychological fluke, I suppose.

joy
joy
Wed, Jul 08, 2009 6:26pm

I read this book and flew through it. Cried my eyes out, laughed out loud and all that. Then, when I finished, I kept thinking and thinking about it and something almost creeped me out about it(naked dude showing up in a field to an 8 year old…..) I did think a movie might happen for it…but if they can do this in a movie, by god, they better have the Outlander book in production (Diana Gabaldon’s first novel and quite excellent imo)

anyhow, now to watch the trailer.

Joy