trailer break: ‘Post Grad’

Take a break from work: watch a trailer…

Wonderful! Girl makes up bullshit in her job interview and gets called on it… and that’s tragic! Boy has been hanging around girl for years, desperately in love, hoping against hope that girl will change her mind about him… and that’s tragic!

Please, deliver us from Nice Girls who think they’re owed something because they’re cute and nonspecifically enthusiastic. Deliver us from Nice Guys who think passive-aggressiveness is the way to a girl’s heart.

Also: How many jokes about fat women being mistaken for pregnant do we have to be subjected to before it stops being considered “funny”? And how prevalent do such jokes have to be before it stops being plausible that anyone would ask a woman they don’t know if she’s pregnant?

Post Grad opens in the U.S. on August 21, and in the U.K. on January 1, 2010.

Frank from UF
Thu, Aug 06, 2009 11:41am

Aw, those poor little rich white people and all their “problems.” I can’t wait to not see this movie!

Saladinho
Saladinho
Thu, Aug 06, 2009 12:01pm

The look on that boy’s face at the end was really disturbing…I think he hit puberty during that scene. Ugh.

JoshDM
JoshDM
Thu, Aug 06, 2009 12:25pm

How could you guys see anything with the light glinting off her giant forehead? She’s like a female James Van Der Beek.

Brian
Brian
Thu, Aug 06, 2009 12:56pm

Geez, I don’t even ask women who are obviously, unmistakably pregnant if they are pregnant. Isn’t that some kind of corollary to Murphy’s Law? If you have to ask, she won’t be.

Anyway, I think I’ll go watch The Graduate again. It’s about interesting people.

Michael
Michael
Thu, Aug 06, 2009 2:16pm

Why wait? I’m not seeing this movie right now! ;)

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Thu, Aug 06, 2009 2:31pm

Not that I want to sound as if I’m defending this movie, but they’re not rich.

Kate
Kate
Thu, Aug 06, 2009 2:50pm

And from time to time white people have been known to have problems too.

Not that I’m defending this movie either.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Thu, Aug 06, 2009 3:34pm

I assume jokes are made about it because it really does happen. And worse. Total strangers would come up to me and start talking about pregnancy, or childbirth, or how great it was that I’m having a child and they hoped I was a Good Christian in all the other ways and weren’t abortions evil…

And then, (really!) they’d often reach out and pat my belly! Like they had a right! Sometimes people would do this without talking to me first!

This usually made a string of obscenities come out of my mouth and prompted people to comment that pregnant women were too emotional and touchy.

But, this movie STILL looks like it sucks.

Frank from UF
Thu, Aug 06, 2009 4:15pm

Not that I want to sound as if I’m defending this movie, but they’re not rich.

You’re right. We prefer the term “upper-middle class.”

Saladinho
Saladinho
Thu, Aug 06, 2009 4:49pm

Yeah, what LaSargenta said: I’ve seen this myself many times…whenever a woman gets pregnant, it’s like suddenly her body’s not her’s anymore…but that’s the beginning of a whole nother conversation.

Jennie
Jennie
Thu, Aug 06, 2009 6:12pm

I’m fascinated by the deep philosophical points made by the characters… like “It’s not what you do with your life – it’s who you do it with”.

Because growing up is all about making sure you’re happiness in life depends on someone else.

stephanie b
stephanie b
Thu, Aug 06, 2009 7:36pm

I think Alexis Bledel looks fabulous. And whoo! Jane Lynch.

But that’s all I can say that’s positive about that trailer.

Brian
Brian
Fri, Aug 07, 2009 9:38am

Speaking of things demeaning to women, it appears that those Evony ads have snuck back onto the site, this time without even the pretense of a “fantasy” character (at least not of the sword-and-sorcery variety) — just a contemporary-looking woman with ridiculous cleavage.

CS
CS
Sun, Aug 09, 2009 1:28pm

I can’t run away from this movie fast enough. At some point you can smell the failure coming from the trailer.

Tonio Kruger
Sun, Aug 09, 2009 2:55pm

I’ve seen ads for minority organ donors, Jewish singles and the Texas Lottery on this site but not any Evony ads.

Yet.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Mon, Aug 17, 2009 3:43pm

You’re right. We prefer the term “upper-middle class.”

Nope, they’re not even upper-middle-class. Solidly middle-middle-class, at best. Possibly venturing into lower-middle-class.

I’ll look into the Evony thing…

amanohyo
amanohyo
Mon, Aug 17, 2009 6:25pm

I’ve been hoping that some of those Plants vs. Zombies ads that poke fun at Evony would pop up here. Maybe it’ll happen if I type Plants vs. Zombies a couple more times. I sure do like Plants a lot more than Zombies; even Triffids aren’t so bad once you get used to the noise.

Susan
Sat, Sep 12, 2009 9:22am

Susan

amanohyo
amanohyo
Sat, Sep 12, 2009 12:37pm

Susan! You’re not the kind of zombie I was trying to lure, and anyway internet gambling makes baby Jesus shake his tiny head in mute disappointment. I feel like a fisherman who’s caught a soggy boot. Well, time to rebait the hook, I guess….

Plants vs. Zombies
Plants vs. Zombies
Evony Parody
Evony Parody

Grinebiter
Grinebiter
Sat, Sep 12, 2009 2:04pm

Something like Susan snuck past my own SpamKarma2 the other day: Different gambling URL, different name, but identical text. They must have gone to the same ‘bot school.

: I once embarrassed myself by cheerily congratulating a neighbour, who had four children, on her coming fifth. She wasn’t pregnant, had merely put on a lot of weight since I last saw her, for some reason in the male “apple” pattern (like me….). But at least I did NOT ask her whether she was sure, I just ran home and hid under the bed. Didn’t even stop to pat her belly :-)

Accounting Ninja
Accounting Ninja
Sat, Sep 12, 2009 2:19pm

I’ll help.

Plants vs. Zombies Plants vs. Zombies Plants vs. Zombies Plants vs. Zombies Plants vs. Zombies

Because it sounds funny. :)

I clicked on Susan’s obvious spam link to see what level of internet hell I’d be transported to. It’s actually just kind of lame, really. Like an empty Blogspot. Not even any annoying “Are you SURE you want to navigate away from our site?!” popups!

Keith
Keith
Sun, Sep 13, 2009 12:27pm

Hmm, now I want to go find some of these ads. Plants vs Zombies is my favorite game by PopCap. The Evony ads are rather excessive (thinking more about their quantity; they seem to be everywhere).