trailer break: ‘Fantastic Mr. Fox’

Take a break from work: watch a trailer…

Man, I love this trailer! If the movie is half as much fun… well, I’ll love it half as much. But the movie had better be this much fun. It’s Wes Anderson, after all, doing up Roald Dahl. It’s gotta be, well, fantastic, right?

“If what I think is happening, is happening, it better not be.” Awesome.

Fantastic Mr. Fox opens in the U.K. today; it opens in the U.S. on November 13.

JoshDM
JoshDM
Fri, Oct 23, 2009 2:43pm
Accounting Ninja
Accounting Ninja
Fri, Oct 23, 2009 5:10pm

I am SO seeing this.

Martin
Martin
Fri, Oct 23, 2009 6:37pm

I’ve just got back from seeing this (a film out in the UK first? This film really is fantastic!) and I loved it, even if it was overly Americanised for my tastes.

Left_Wing_Fox
Left_Wing_Fox
Sat, Oct 24, 2009 12:01pm

Martin: Glad to hear that. Roald Dahl in general, and this book in particular were favorites of mine as a kid. I was a little leery of it, but the whole “Badger” “Demolitions Expert!” “What? Since When?” bit cracked me up.

Martin
Martin
Sat, Oct 24, 2009 1:53pm

Left Wing Fox: It’s been a long while since I’ve read the books so I can’t really comment on how it stands up to the book but I have a feeling that there have been a few changes.

Left_Wing_Fox
Left_Wing_Fox
Sat, Oct 24, 2009 5:27pm

I’m actually not one who demands strict accuracy in a movie adaptation. Some of my favorite cartoons for instance, like “Who Framed Roger Rabbit” and “Secret of NIMH” made significant changes from the source material in terms of theme, tone, plot, and character emphasis.

Adaptions walk a tightrope between being a movie that can stand alone on it’s own merits, while also competing with the memories and imaginations of the original reader. Writers and directors that have a clear grasp of the sorts of characters and themes from the book that draw their focus, and translate those to the screen in a film that stands alone do the best in this regard. Those that are more concerned with the translating the spectacle, retaining slavish accuracy, or are concerned only with the marketing potential of the associated name are the ones that fail the worst.

The problem is, that trailers can only tell you how faithful they’re trying to be, not whether or not the changes are actually any good. =/