trailer break: ‘Clash of the Titans’ teaser

Take a break from work: watch a trailer…

I guess this is cool and all, but why does it feel really familiar? Should I have been getting flashes of The Lord of the Rings from a story set in the ancient world?

Maybe I’m just worn out from these kinds of movies. I’ll certainly see the film and I’ll probably even like it… though I’d be happier if this was more like director Louis Leterrier’s first movie, Unleashed, than like Transporter 2, which was just preposterous, or like his The Incredible Hulk, which lost its way in the end. But I’m tired of seeing the same old stuff over and over and over again.

Maybe I’m just exhausted cuz it’s Friday.

Anyway: Sam Worthington is Perseus here, and between Terminator Salvation and Avatar and this, I’m certain he’s the new somebody. I’m not sure which somebody yet, but it’ll come to me…

Clash of the Titans opens in the U.S. and the U.K. on March 26, 2010.

If you haven’t commented here before, your first comment will be held for MaryAnn’s approval. This is an anti-spam, anti-troll, anti-abuse measure. If your comment is not spam, trollish, or abusive, it will be approved, and all your future comments will post immediately. (Further comments may still be deleted if spammy, trollish, or abusive, and continued such behavior will get your account deleted and banned.)
Brian
Brian
Fri, Nov 13, 2009 12:14pm

I get the same ho-hum feeling of generic movie fantasy-ness from this trailer, which is sad, considering that the original was the swan song of an effects pioneer whose work was unique and unmistakable.

JoshDM
JoshDM
Fri, Nov 13, 2009 1:10pm

MOVIES… WILL… SUCK!!!1

Dr Rocketscience
Dr Rocketscience
Fri, Nov 13, 2009 4:00pm

WTF is this crap?

Yeah, cause what would have made Clash of the Titans less embarrassing for Lawrence Olivier and Maggie Smith is more dirt on everyone’s awful costumes. *eye roll*

CotT was a terrible idea for a movie 30 years ago. It’s a worse idea now.

Michael
Fri, Nov 13, 2009 7:34pm

I’m hoping the music comes from the marketing department and isn’t indicative of the sort of music for the film itself.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Fri, Nov 13, 2009 9:52pm

I actually liked the original and I would like to think that the Greek myths would make an excellent inspiration for a movie if anyone truly inspired ever chose to take a crack at them.

That said, this movie doesn’t look too promising. And yes, the music sucks.

PaulW
Fri, Nov 13, 2009 10:34pm

Terrible song.

Terrible CGI.

Terrible casting (I don’t even know who’s gotten the Harry Hamlin role for Perseus. Is that Ben Affleck’s stunt double or something?).

Dear Hollywood. There was no demand for a Titans remake. There was no need for a Titans remake. When, for the Love of Athena, are YOU BASTARDS GONNA START MAKING ORIGINAL (well, non-remake-ish) AND FUN MOVIES AGAIN?!

I miss the 1980-1991 movie period. Everything after T2 was frakkin downhill.

Sat, Nov 14, 2009 9:11am

Well, there’s the Percy Jackson movie due out next year (think Harry Potter with Greek gods), based on the Rick Riordan books.

Barb
Barb
Sat, Nov 14, 2009 9:12am

Once again not interested. What is wrong with the original Harry Hamlin version that it had to be re-made. It seems like all that Hollywood seems to be interested in is re-making stuff instead of coming up with original ideas/concepts. No wonder I’ve only been to the movies twice this year.

Sat, Nov 14, 2009 9:31am

I don’t have a problem with remakes as long as they’re well done. Hollywood’s been remaking its own material (as well as material in other media) for the whole of its existence. Some, like The Ten Commandments and The Maltese Falcon, may even outshine the originals; see http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=essays&item=22 for more examples.

It’s fair to complain about the quality of recent remakes, but we never really know if a remake is justified or just plain atrocious until it comes out.

Ian Osmond
Ian Osmond
Sat, Nov 14, 2009 11:28am

You know, if the Titans would just stop wearing stripes with plaids, then maybe TITANS . . . WOULDN’T . . . CLASH.

Hasimir Fenring
Hasimir Fenring
Sat, Nov 14, 2009 12:51pm

Wow, The Chronicles of the Kingdom of the Lord of the 300 Rings! Just what I’ve been hoping for!

Kensai
Kensai
Sat, Nov 14, 2009 9:30pm

Okay I admit it … I love the original. I was a kid when I saw it so it’s mostly nostalgia. But a remake? They lost me at “TITANS … WILL … CLASH.”