trailer break: ‘The Crazies’

Take a break from work: watch a trailer…

Fantastic: another remake of a 1970s horror movie. The 1973 original was by George Romero, so surely it’s still worth watching today. What’s the point of a remake?

How is this not like every other damn movie about infection we’ve ever seen? The ordinary folk getting sick. The military turned on a small all-American town. What’s new here? Is there anything at all?

I do like Tim Olyphant, though. I wish someone would give him better roles than he’s mostly gotten.

The Crazies opens in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K. on February 26.

Fuggle
Fuggle
Thu, Jan 21, 2010 2:12pm

It might be a remake. It might tread over the same ground as every other infection movie ever. It might bust out some silly cliches like “no reception” and cheap jump thrills. And heck, c’mon, “Mad World”? Really?

… Yet somehow, and I can’t explain why, about 3/4 of this trailer is /really effective/ and seems, to me, to at least be better than most of the dreck in this vein.

Or maybe the lack of sleep is getting to me, I don’t know.

bracyman
bracyman
Thu, Jan 21, 2010 2:47pm

I’ll probably watch it just cause I have come to rely on Timothy Olyphant to provide entertainment, even when everything around him is crap.

Laurence
Laurence
Thu, Jan 21, 2010 5:07pm

I do believe that it looks a cut above most 70s horror remakes.

I also do believe that it looks pretty damn useless.

I do not want Danielle Panabaker to die in this movie, either.

Kenny
Kenny
Fri, Jan 22, 2010 1:00am

I agree with Fuggle about the quality of the trailer… It is almost certainly a tribute to the trailer maker’s art than to the movie though.

Fri, Jan 22, 2010 6:36am

The actual content seems right off the horror-film checklist (particularly the last few seconds); I agree that this seems like a good trailer for a poor film.

I still like Waterborne…

Tonio Kruger
Fri, Feb 19, 2010 1:09am

If that trailer is truly representative of what happens in this movie, then someone obviously missed the point of the original movie. (It’s available through Netflix if you wish to see what I’m talking about.)