trailer break: ‘Furry Vengeance’

Take a break from work: watch a trailer…

Remember those old ads that used to ask, “Is it live, or is is Memorex?” Movies like this one make me wonder, Is it satire, or just a calculated appropriation of the notion? Razing a forest to make way for a forest-themed mall is a good idea, I guess, as a basis for a satire, but wasn’t it handled better in, like, two seconds, in Back to the Future, when in the blink of a temporally disturbed eye, Twin Pines Mall became Lone Pine Mall? Do crotch injuries and poop jokes truly add any depth to this concept?

Is Brendan Fraser this desperate? Is Brooke Shields this desperate? Could anybody be this desperate?

I haven’t seen this, and probably won’t, but I suspect that if I did, I will have liked it better the first time around, when it was called Over the Hedge.

Furry Vengeance opens in the U.S. and Canada on April 30, and in the U.K. on May 7.

TJ
TJ
Thu, Apr 29, 2010 1:08pm

Sadly, this would be made better with the addition of people in animal costume aka Furries. Is it sad that that’s the first thing I thought of seeing the title?

Left_Wing_Fox
Left_Wing_Fox
Thu, Apr 29, 2010 1:17pm

No, you’re not, TJ. I’m glad it dosn’t though: Furries have enough of a bad rep without having to be the subject of a Brendan Frasier movie as well.

AJP
AJP
Thu, Apr 29, 2010 1:42pm

If you gave me a contract that said “write the dumbest movie you can come up with and we’ll give you $100,000” I doubt I could have come up with something as dumb as this looks to be.

markyd
markyd
Thu, Apr 29, 2010 1:56pm

This really does look like one of the worst movies of ALL time.
I’ll be happy whee it comes out so they stop playing that godawful trailer.
BTW, Over the Hedge sucked, too. Hated that movie.

Nathan
Nathan
Thu, Apr 29, 2010 4:46pm

That’s what I thought when I first saw this. If they had maybe cut this trailer down to the first 30 seconds I would’ve thought it could be a decent satire on environmentalism. But then they brought in the pee gags and rapid fire bird crap.

Tonio Kruger
Thu, Apr 29, 2010 7:20pm

BTW, Over the Hedge sucked, too. Hated that movie.

Yes, it did. And I hated it too.

However, this trailer makes OtH look like a Pixar movie.

Brendan Frasier’s career really has gone downhill since Crash, hasn’t it? It almost makes Sandra Bullock’s career look enviable by comparison. (Well, she did win that Oscar, of course, but apart from that…)

gensing
gensing
Fri, Apr 30, 2010 3:45am

“00” on the tomatometer? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. It may be schadenfreude, but reading the reviews are pretty funny – much funnier than the movie.