omg: Josh Brolin did not say that about ‘Jonah Hex’… did he?

I’m not sure I understand Josh Brolin’s thinking here, but c’mon, this is how people end up working as nightwatch security at the local Vampire’s Choice Blood Bank franchise, right?

The shoot was purportedly plagued with problems, not the least of which was star Josh Brolin telling MTV: “When I first read it I thought, ‘Oh my God, it’s awful.’ And then I had a moment a week later and I thought … maybe the thing to do is to do the most awful movie I can find.”

Brolin is talking about Jonah Hex, of course (quoted at journalgazette.net). And if he needs to perhaps start making better decisions, he can perhaps be comforted by the fact that his stink-o-meter is pretty good: the movie is terrible, and audiences stayed away by the millions. It earned only $5.4 million this past weekend, one of the worst openings ever for a wide release.

Or perhaps Brolin has some grand plan for his career that we cannot begin to contemplate.

Nate
Nate
Tue, Jun 22, 2010 12:05am

I guess he assumes being in the Coen brothers’ next movie gives him some job security.

JoshDM
JoshDM
Tue, Jun 22, 2010 12:10am

Yet another movie doing a disservice to the source material.

hdj
hdj
Tue, Jun 22, 2010 12:55am

he shoulda listened to his first reaction , friggen Wild Wild West 2

Drave
Drave
Tue, Jun 22, 2010 2:46am

This explains SO MUCH!

Seriously, I’ve been thinking about it the whole way home. How did they get Josh Brolin?! It couldn’t be with the script or the director. My theory was that Brolin was either drunk or just bored when he signed on. Looks like it was the latter!

Kathryn
Kathryn
Tue, Jun 22, 2010 4:27am

Two words – tax bill.

deering
deering
Tue, Jun 22, 2010 5:58am

Poor guy. What’s worse–having to pick proof-of-bankability and having no skill for it…or having too good a skill for finding successful junk?

PaulW
PaulW
Tue, Jun 22, 2010 7:28am

There’s a trope entry for this: Money Dear Boy.

Someone else also wrote about Nicholas Cage is that he bounces around film projects that are either incredibly good (Leaving Las Vegas, Adaptation) or incredibly bad (Vampire’s Kiss, Ghost Rider), as though Cage is attempting to prove some hideous hypothesis. That might have been what Brolin was thinking, do a good movie then a bad movie and see what the experiences are like.

JoshDM
JoshDM
Tue, Jun 22, 2010 11:02am

DID YOU GUYS SEE THE GREEN HORNET TRAILER YET?

Man, coming from having zero interest to “that sounds terrible; Seth Rogen as Green Hornet? Really?” the trailer has turned it into a movie that I think I actually want to see. Plus it has Harold as a pretty darn good Kato!

M. Carter @ the Movies
Tue, Jun 22, 2010 11:46am

Josh Brolin taking this part makes me nervous, very nervous. I get that serious actors need a break now and again, but a movie with Megan Fox? Really?

He seems to be using the save logic David Caruso used when he left “N.Y.P.D. Blue” to work on his “movie career.”

JoshDM
JoshDM
Tue, Jun 22, 2010 1:01pm

Regarding Jonah Hex the movie vs. the comic, this article is very insightful and worth reading.

JoshDM
JoshDM
Tue, Jun 22, 2010 1:16pm

And from an even comic book geekier perspective, yet just as rational, there is this excellent article, which is where I found the prior article link.