trailer break: ‘Charlie St. Cloud’

Take a break from work: watch a trailer…

Dammit, why does this trailer have to spoil the entire movie… or look like it does? Maybe it doesn’t: maybe there’s a big twist coming along that isn’t really hinted at here. (Maybe Zac died in that drunk-driver accident too! And now he’s a ghost wandering his pretty little seaside town!) But I bet not. I hate that.

Burr Steers directed Zac Efron to the best effect possible in the mostly not-very-good 17 Again, so perhaps this is just one more not-very-good stepping stone to Efron’s adult career… which he will have if he’s getting smart advice. Could be this was the best of what he’s being offered at the moment.

Charlie St. Cloud opens in the U.S. and Canada on July 30, and in the U.K. on October 8.

worromot
worromot
Tue, Jul 13, 2010 12:26pm

Why not watch Carroll Ballard’s “Wind” instead? Even he couldn’t do much with the material: it’s Ballard’s worst movie by far. I guess contemporary yachting world is just too ridiculously toff’y (is that a word?). It’s not that being at sea is not inherently dramatic, or that anything’s wrong with sailing as such — compare and contrast with “Master and Commander”. It’s that the stakes for Richie Rich characters are low or at least hard to make relevant. Two sailing scenes in contemporary setting come to mind — Truman Burbank challenging the fate and the “Castaway” hero escaping his island. For both characters, stakes couldn’t be higher, and pretty scenery or pretty face couldn’t matter less.

Nate
Nate
Tue, Jul 13, 2010 2:33pm

^Uh, wow. Did you even watch the trailer?

The sailing in this film is just a plot device. The actual story is about the guy struggling between his newfound romance and his visions of his dead brother.

worromot
worromot
Tue, Jul 13, 2010 4:27pm

^Um, yes, how could I miss it? Seeing saccharine-drenched ghosts is a harrowing yet common experience.

/snark

I confess I am not a part of the target audience for a Zac E. vehicle. So sailing seemed like the only part of the package that would be of remote interest to me, and that didn’t look too promising either…

Nate
Nate
Tue, Jul 13, 2010 4:40pm

Sorry, I can’t detect selective ignorance on the internet.

It does look pretty cheesy, but harmless enough. I’d choose seeing it over Twilight, that’s for sure.

sjk
sjk
Wed, Jul 14, 2010 12:35am

I actually liked 17 Again and saw Zac show that he has skills for comedic timing. And I’ve read the book CSC is based on. The trailer does not give away the plot of the movie. There are layers and struggles that are a crucial part of the movie that were not really even hinted at in the trailer. Give Zac a chance. He has shown with each new project that he takes on that he has staying power. Can’t wait for opening day, July 30!

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Wed, Jul 14, 2010 11:50am

Unfortunately, however, there’s no guarantee that the layers and struggles you speak of managed to survive the transition from book to movie.