omg: ‘Firefly’ characters in ‘Star Trek’ uniforms

Back to the silly stuff:

It really does highlight how the same old character tropes recur again and again across ensemble adventure shows. Of course Simon is Spock! And Book is Bones!

Also: It’s just plain totally cool.

From The Posterior of Randal Schwartz.

Newbs
Thu, Aug 05, 2010 6:25pm

I deem this to be Excellent.

Matt C
Matt C
Thu, Aug 05, 2010 7:14pm

Why are Kaylee, River and Jayne red shirts? Don’t the red shirts tend to die quickly?

Orangutan
Orangutan
Thu, Aug 05, 2010 8:30pm

Red was worn by both Security, which Jayne definitely qualifies as, and Engineering, which Kaylee totally is. BUT, both of them have names, which typically exempts the wearer of a red shirt from the curse.

CB
CB
Thu, Aug 05, 2010 8:54pm

Only if you already knew their names before the episode. When a Redshirt gets referred to by name for the first time just before being picked for an away team, they’re toast. You’d rather be anonymous in that case, cus otherwise you just know Kirk is going to be calling out your name before turning on the bad guy with firm resolve.

JoshDM
JoshDM
Thu, Aug 05, 2010 9:25pm

Actually, Simon would be Bones, River would be Spock, and Book would be, uh, the TOS equivalent of TNG’s Guinan I guess, but that’s just me.

Victor Plenty
Victor Plenty
Fri, Aug 06, 2010 1:29am

Well now, Book is Bones – looking past Bones as ship’s doctor, and seeing his more important role as an advocate for moral values considered old-fashioned by most of his crewmates.

I’m not sure Simon or River really fulfill the most important conditions for being Spock. There may be more elements of Spock in Zoe.

Besides, if River were Spock, wouldn’t that make Jayne into Nurse Chapel?

Chris
Chris
Fri, Aug 06, 2010 2:32am

I think we can project Jayne forward, and make him Worf

Isobel
Isobel
Fri, Aug 06, 2010 4:21am

I do love this. My colour blindness really didn’t help (I’m red/green colourblind – lucky me!). The red shirts look dark green to me, and usually when I’m told something is read I suddenly ‘see’ it as red – not this time, though! Still look dark green!

Simon is definitely Spock – all that repressed emotion going on! Plus obviously clever.

Keith
Keith
Fri, Aug 06, 2010 5:23am

Actually, most of the red shirt deaths occurred in Season 1 of Star Trek. In the other seasons, there were only about three red shirt deaths total and a lot more deaths of blue and gold shirts.

Book looks like he’s wearing more of a Commodore’s uniform, which would make sense based on the hints of what he was before he became a Shepard.

See Inara more as Communications, like Uhura, so think she should be wearing red. River should be in blue because, minus the crazy, she’d be more sci/med with her intellect. Everyone else seems about right.

SO, have Inara and River swap shirts (and they can take their time doing it too :) and that would be my version preference of how this pic should look. Plenty awesome as it is, though.

Lisa
Lisa
Fri, Aug 06, 2010 8:22am

This is a ridiculous discussion – they’re all more likely to be Maquis! Simon would have excelled in Star Fleet though.

JoshDM
JoshDM
Fri, Aug 06, 2010 10:15am

Y’know, Inara in “V” is just not doing it for me. I think “V” overall just isn’t doing it. Anyone else?

markyd
markyd
Fri, Aug 06, 2010 10:43am

I had a total thing for Kaylee. Has she been in any other shows/movies?

Lisa
Lisa
Fri, Aug 06, 2010 10:56am

One of the Stargates I think

I think she’s the spit of that russian spy Anna Chapman.

Vote Ten!

JoshDM
JoshDM
Fri, Aug 06, 2010 11:06am
Paul
Paul
Wed, Aug 11, 2010 8:28am

I figured Inara is more like Troi, hence the blue. And I don’t think there really is a “Spock” character in “Firefly,” which is fine by me.