trailer break: ‘Buried’

Take a break from work: watch a trailer…

That’s the international trailer. It’s a helluva lot more gripping than the domestic one (though I applaud its sparseness):

I noticed something contradictory between the two trailers. Anyone else catch it?

Buried opens in limited release in the U.S. and Canada on September 24, and in the U.K. on September 29.

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
Mon, Sep 06, 2010 11:31am

First off, I think we need a tag, the kind that redacts text unless you highlight/mouseover it.

In the int’l version, he’s surprised the 911 operator knows his name. In the U.S. trailer, the first thing he tells the operator is his name. Which frankly makes more sense and is probably what happens in the actual movie. The “Wait… how do you know my name?” line is probably spoken to one of the bad guys.

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
Mon, Sep 06, 2010 11:34am

the above should say “we need a {spoiler} tag”.

Mon, Sep 06, 2010 11:38am

Well, the first one certainly gives one a little hope that there’ll be something more than an exploitation of a standard fear… but, cunning glass walls aside, I don’t see anything to grab me here. (How long does it take to take a film from idea to execution? The CSI season 5 closer, featuring one of the team buried alive while the rest searched for him, was broadcast on May 19 2005.)

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Mon, Sep 06, 2010 1:10pm

Why? Doesn’t a spoiler warning work? And what did you write that needs a spoiler warning, anyway?

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
Mon, Sep 06, 2010 4:27pm

For some values of “work”, yes. Only a small number of forums i read use them, but spoiler tags that make the text unreadable by accident are nice for quickly scanning through threads without getting spoiled. They make it much easier to continue to participate in a conversation when you’re otherwise avoiding spoilers. On the other hand, 1) my last statement is probably oxymoronic; 2) like any tags, they can be a hassle to include in a post; and 3) some people dislike a page full of blank space or black bars in the paragraphs. So, YMMV.

Also, it occurred to me that if i was right, someone else might read my response before they got to play, which would be a bummer for them. :)

Wasn’t that episode directed by Quintin Tarrantino?

Mon, Sep 06, 2010 4:37pm

Dr Rocketscience, yes it was.

(I read by RSS, so on the rare occasions I care about spoilers I can avoid them purely based on the post’s title.)

Tonio Kruger
Mon, Sep 06, 2010 9:11pm

SPOILERS

Wasn’t one of the first movies you reviewed about a kidnapper who also buried his would-be victim underground, MaryAnn?

That said, I’m not sure the spoiler-filled international trailer is much of an improvement over the most conventional “premature burial” version. Especially since the “soldier gets buried by accident and no one knows he’s alive” plot sounds more potentially compelling than “soldier awakes and finds himself at the mercy of money-hungry kidnappers.” However, both plots have been done to death so YMMV. If you wish, you can blame my taste on a childhood obsession with Poe…