makes me long for Michael Bay-esque coherence (Pacific Rim trailer)

Two thousand five hundred tons of Tonka toys.

Shorter this trailer: Monsters! But we are awesome.Then we suck. Surprise! We get awesome again.

Actually, that’s somewhat more logical and orderly than the trailer.

But sure. Go ahead and pick up a container freighter and see what happens.

MarkyD
Tue, Apr 30, 2013 3:06pm

*channels 16 year old me* Holy shit, this looks amazing!
My 12 year old son and I are going to be all over this one.
I’m super picky about the movies I like, but this just looks like stupid fun. Like watching Godzilla or Gamera movies when I was a kid.

Matt Clayton
Tue, Apr 30, 2013 4:30pm

Looks a lot more coherent than any of Bay’s “Transformers” movies, in terms of action. But yeah, not getting a full grasp of the story here.

Michael in Seattle
Michael in Seattle
Tue, Apr 30, 2013 6:42pm

I’ll give del Toro a heck of a lot more benefit of the doubt at this point than I will Michael Bay (not that Bay gets any at all, of course, but…)

…And I HAVE picked up a container freighter! It worked just like that! ;)

Karl Morton IV
Karl Morton IV
Tue, Apr 30, 2013 6:49pm

I wish Douglas Adams was still with us so he could write the inevitable sequel about the equally inevitable congressional hearings to determine who was gonna pay for all the damage.

Hank Graham
Hank Graham
Tue, Apr 30, 2013 8:20pm

I dunno MaryAnn–giant robots!

Jurgan
Jurgan
Wed, May 01, 2013 3:58am

GLaDOS!

Wed, May 01, 2013 12:59pm

What human being would say “your orders are to protect the city of two million people”? Who would not say “the city of San Francisco” or wherever? (The sound’s a bit weird, though; perhaps it’s been edited together.)

But really, all I get from this is “robot on monster beat-em-up action”. Which I already knew. So…

Jan_Willem
Jan_Willem
reply to  RogerBW
Sun, Jun 02, 2013 9:16am

Actually – mild spoiler based on inside information – there’s a very good reason: a ship with a few dozen sailors on board near the site of a Kaiju-Jaeger confrontation. Robot pilots must get their priorities right.

bracyman
bracyman
Wed, May 01, 2013 4:09pm

Screw this noise. They had an opportunity here, an opportunity to make a sequel to the greatest movie ever made. This could have been “The Iron Giant 2” where we learn the iron giants were sent here to defend us against this incursion. I have my spec script around here somewhere…

Mate Sršen
Thu, May 02, 2013 12:41am

If a Guillermo del Toro picture makes you long for ‘Michael Bay-esque coherence’, you are clearly doing something wrong. It’s obvious even from a poorly edited trailer that we are dealing with an artist of a higher caliber.

Paul Wartenberg
Sat, May 11, 2013 2:48am

Mary Ann, there is something that speaks to the Inner Geek in all of us when there’s a F-cking Giant Robots vs. F-cking Kaiju movie. Outside of the comic book movies and Trek: It’s NOT Mudd?, Pacific Rim is on my to-do list.

If there is a remake I would support it would be a “Destroy All Monsters” update – GODZILLA! MOTHRA! KONG! RODAN! ANGURIUS! THAT OTHER ONE! The FLAMING TURTLE contractually obligated to another film studio! and let’s throw in CLOVERFIELD and that Korean Tadpole Thingee!

Jan_Willem
Jan_Willem
Sat, Jun 01, 2013 12:35pm

Having co-translated this movie’s novelization into Dutch (no spoilers from me), I believe I can safely say you might be in for a pleasant surprise.