Dear Mr. Watterson trailer: a Calvin & Hobbes movie! (sort of)

Artists and writers talk about how Calvin & Hobbes influenced them. So I presume this documentary is about 14 hours long, because what creative mind under 45 or 50 today didn’t have its horizons expanded by their adventures?

Via GalleyCat.

bronxbee
Fri, Jul 26, 2013 4:48am

i remember my first reading few strips of C&H… i think i was 4 or 5 days in before it came to light (for me) that Hobbes was a *toy* tiger — the interior life of this small boy. being a comic strip, i figured it was just a walking, talking philosophising tiger… it blew my mind. still the greatest strip of all time. my dad went into a bit of a funk when the strip was discontinued and has all the compilation books.

Fri, Jul 26, 2013 11:54am

But does relentless positivity make for an interesting film? I’m entirely in agreement — I think Watterson’s work is some of the best cartooning I’ve seen — but I hope people get to say more than that.

bronxbee
reply to  RogerBW
Fri, Jul 26, 2013 8:40pm

i don’t think anyone can say that C&H was “relentless(ly) positive”… in fact, it had a rather dark outlook on getting older and the “joys” of childhood. i’ll bet a lot of dark, ironic humour and writing came out of that influence.

reply to  bronxbee
Fri, Jul 26, 2013 8:51pm

Oh, indeed! I’m talking about the impression of this film that I get from the trailer — everyone’s saying how great Watterson’s work was. And I agree, but does watching lots of people say that make for a good film?

Mate Sršen
Fri, Jul 26, 2013 6:43pm

My dad is possibly a bigger C&H fan than I am – lately I’ve been buying him C&H compilation books as birthday presents. He loves it.

LJS
LJS
Sun, Apr 13, 2014 2:07am

Finally saw the move on demand — I think I would have preferred a bit more about Watterson himself, tho we do see his home town and how it influenced a number of scenes in the comic. Nice to see Berkeley Breathed again.