The Secret Life of Walter Mitty trailer: photo realistic

I like the looks of this. So elegant and evocative.

There’s a moment here in the trailer, when Stiller is looking at the black-and-white photo, and something happens… I love that moment. So unexpected. I hope the whole movie manages to create that sort of feeling. Ben Stiller is directing as well as starring, and he’s made some good films, so I’m feeling optimistic.

I’ve never seen the 1940s Danny Kaye film of the same name. Guess I better catch up…

PattiH.
PattiH.
Fri, Aug 16, 2013 12:01pm

What you need to find is the…oh, late 70s, early 80s?…fanfic called “The Secret Life of Walter Fan.”

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  PattiH.
Fri, Aug 16, 2013 6:59pm

Hmm. The first Google result is this post, because of your comment. :->

I suspect that story has not been digitized.

PattiH.
PattiH.
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Sun, Aug 18, 2013 12:34pm

That’s a pity. It’s a classic.

teenygozer
teenygozer
reply to  PattiH.
Sun, Aug 18, 2013 1:04am

That’s funny, many years ago I did some illustrations for a fanfic called “The Secret Life of Walter Sue” by Paula Block, which follows the Thurber story, except the dreams are snippets of recognizable science fiction movies and TV shows (including Tom Baker’s Dr. Who). The final scene in the story has Walter dreaming of himself as Spock in the infamous death scene, “Jim. I have been and ever shall be… your friend….” Same fanfic, possibly? Or two fanfic writers with a similar idea?

PattiH.
PattiH.
reply to  teenygozer
Sun, Aug 18, 2013 12:33pm

Walter Sue! I knew I had the title wrong! I knew it was Paula Block…and it was in an issue of Syndizine, I believe, and I remember your artwork. (Wow, is our fannish age showing!)

Mate Sršen
Fri, Aug 16, 2013 1:48pm

I know it’s sort of implied by the premise, but I still didn’t expect it to be so visually lavish – I never saw Stiller as much of a visual director. I’m taking it as a good sign.

KingNewbs
Fri, Aug 16, 2013 4:21pm

This trailer gives me the same hopeful and uplifted feeling Spike Jonze’s WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE trailer did… Maybe the actual movie is as good, too.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Sat, Aug 17, 2013 1:18pm

This is quite possibly another example of my previously whined-about pointless remake syndrome. The Danny Kaye film holds a special place in my heart. I also generally dislike Stiller while I really liked Kaye.

bronxbee
bronxbee
reply to  LaSargenta
Sun, Aug 18, 2013 2:58am

while i am second to none in my love for danny kaye, the Walter Mitty film made with him had none of the dark, desperate yearning of thurber’s short story. from this very, very brief trailer, i am sort of hoping this one will have that… although stiller makes me a little nervous.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  bronxbee
Sun, Aug 18, 2013 11:48am

That is true. I forgot the story it was from. Well, maybe then it won’t be pointless.

Second to none, eh? I’d be willing to debate you on that. Kaye is probably my favorite comic actor ever. My mother used to claim he was somehow distantly related to her family and that made me very very happy. I have bored people with recitations of long chunks of The Court Jester. Perhaps we need a Danny Kaye Fan Challenge? :-)

bronxbee
bronxbee
reply to  LaSargenta
Sun, Aug 18, 2013 4:56pm

perhaps we do… ;-)

PattiH.
PattiH.
reply to  LaSargenta
Sun, Aug 18, 2013 12:30pm

I’m not a huge Stiller fan, but I’ve seen him in something (can’t recll the title) the was not a goofy overblown comedy and he’s a better serious actor than I ever imagined.

MisterAntrobus
MisterAntrobus
reply to  PattiH.
Sun, Aug 18, 2013 9:05pm

Perhaps you saw Your Friends and Neighbors? If you haven’t, check it out. It’s brutal but very good.

teenygozer
teenygozer
Sun, Aug 18, 2013 12:58am

Thurber famously detested the Danny Kaye film, which was really not that bad–it was a screwball comedy, very bubble-brained, which the story is not. This looks like a more proper extrapolation of the original short story, it hits the right notes.

MisterAntrobus
MisterAntrobus
reply to  teenygozer
Sun, Aug 18, 2013 9:08pm

The Danny Kaye film was quite warm and fluffy and not very close to the story at all, with requisite song and dance opportunities for Kaye. Still, I find it entertaining in the boyish and sweet way that only Danny Kaye can pull off.

Mon, Aug 19, 2013 1:22pm

I find the story mean-spirited in the extreme… but it looks from this trailer as though Stiller has removed the constantly-belittling wife (one of Thurber’s stock characters), which may help.

Tonio Kruger
Mon, Aug 19, 2013 10:05pm

i get the feeling that this movie — surprise, surprise — misses the whole point of the original Thurber short story. Stiller seems far too young and handsome and aggressive to make a very convincing Walter Mitty. Heck, if this is modern Hollywood’s idea of a Walter Mitty, why not have Stiller play Gregor Samsa or Kafka’s Hunger Artist while we’re at it?

It does not help that the most original image in the trailer seems like a direct steal from A-Ha’s classic “Take On Me” video. Not the worst source to rip off but still…