CBGB trailer: punk us

So here’s a movie about an important moment in the history of rock music, about a bunch of famous bands who still have lots of fans — Blondie, the Ramones, Talking Heads, the Police — and it’s from director Randall Miller, who made the wonderful Bottle Shock, and it stars lots of well-known faces including Alan Rickman and Stana Katic and Johnny Galecki and Malin Ackerman and Rupert Grint and Bradley Whitford who have lots of fans of their own… and apparently this movie cannot get arrested. If you want to see the film in your city, you’re going to have to “demand it,” according to its official site, unless you’re lucky enough that the film will be playing — for probably one night only — somewhere near you, according to the film’s Facebook page.

How is this film not huge? Why are fans having to demand they be allowed to see it?

This is too depressing.

Jurgan
Jurgan
Tue, Sep 17, 2013 4:54pm

*Jaw drops* I don’t mind waiting for DVD, it’ll be worth it. How did they get Alan Rickman’s hair to do that?

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
reply to  Jurgan
Wed, Sep 18, 2013 3:26pm

Wigs.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Wed, Sep 18, 2013 9:02pm

He changed his hairstyle so many times now he doesn’t even know what it looks like…

bronxbee
Tue, Sep 17, 2013 5:06pm

i’d *love* to see this… unfortunately, i cannot read the posted one night only information — it’s way too tiny, and that white on pink… far out man. too far out for me to read it.

bronxbee
reply to  bronxbee
Tue, Sep 17, 2013 5:08pm

ah, i managed to link to the actual movie page, blow it up on my computer only to find out it’s in *one* theatre in NYC… how whacked is that? CBGB’s was here, its home was NYC. you’d think two or three theatres would be playing it.

reply to  bronxbee
Tue, Sep 17, 2013 5:23pm

I went to “Tickets” and scrolled down the list of states, and in NYC apparently it will be in *two* theaters, Chelsea and Village East. Several October dates listed as well.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Bluejay
Tue, Sep 17, 2013 10:38pm

Both hideous cinemas and no place to see a movie.

Crap.

Tue, Sep 17, 2013 5:45pm

In my former life as a musician, my band was very, very fortunate to have a chance to play at CBGB not long before it closed. I remember trembling the whole time, trying to read the graffiti left by other bands in the green room (we added our own scribblings, of course), cringing in the very crappy bathroom, trying not to freak out that the stage I was walking on had absorbed the sweat drops of the likes of David Byrne and Sting. The sound system was fucking loud, the crowd roared, we never played there again, we didn’t become the next Police, and eventually I left… but the gig at CBGB is still one of my happy shiny memories. It was a religious experience. A filthy, grimy, stinky, loud, awesome religious experience.

Then, just this year, I attended the punk exhibit at the Met and was weirded out to see a replica of the CBGB bathroom as one of the displays. I mean, a copy of the toilet I peed in is on exhibit at the Met. Not sure how to feel about that.

Anyway, yes. I must see this film. I *will* see this film.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
reply to  Bluejay
Wed, Sep 18, 2013 9:03pm

But you ain’t got time for that now. ;-)

reply to  Tonio Kruger
Wed, Sep 18, 2013 9:14pm

Heh.

Wed, Sep 18, 2013 1:37pm

Maybe all the music royalties to the bands’ record companies meant there was nothing left over for promotion?

Rickman. Wow. I assume you’ve done a female gazing… yes, good.

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
Wed, Sep 18, 2013 3:24pm

I have no idea why this movie can’t find a distributor. It might just plain not be a very good movie. I will however say this: in the history of 20th century popular* music, the club scene is more romantic than it is important or interesting. Clubs were by their nature small venues that catered to small but loyal audiences in the immediate vicinity of the club itself. Their stories don’t have a lot of widespread appeal. Case in point: I grew up in L.A., visited the Troubadour (or maybe it was the Roxy) one time, and never felt the need to go back.

* Of course, punk music was never popular. By definition. New Wave got out of the clubs, and into the big venues and radio, as quickly as it could manage.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Wed, Sep 18, 2013 6:56pm

Fuuuuuuuuuck.Hilly”s being played by Rickman?! He must be dancing with joy in the afterlife.

I *cough* worked there for a while in the 80’s. __><__

You know, those toilets actually started out clean every day.

Yeah, why isn't this getting a wide release? What's up with that? Everyone vaguely connected with the Old Skool Scene here has been assuming that this is the big cash-in on the CBGB legend…right up there with the CBGB Las Vegas, the t-shirt line, the licensing…how is this not getting promoted?