Captain America: The Winter Soldier trailer: cold comfort

Robert Redford is in a comic book movie? Whoa.

It’s cute how old-fashioned Steve is: “I thought the punishment usually came after the crime.” “This isn’t freedom. This is fear.” Adorable. Maybe there’ll be a hilarious song-and-dance number in this one, like in Captain America: The First Avenger, only about Guantanamo Bay or drone strikes.

Paul Wartenberg
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 12:01pm

On the bright side, at least Steve is nice enough to ask the ruffians if they want out of the elevator first…

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  Paul Wartenberg
Sat, Oct 26, 2013 12:48am

I don’t think that’s ‘nice’. I’d take that as a ‘modest’ baddass warning.

Jurgan
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 12:22pm

Now this is the Captain America I want to see. The “man out of his time” holding to an ideal that has past him by, or maybe never existed in the first place, but he still believes in it. Don’t get me wrong, I love that the first movie was a period piece, because it shows where he came from, but this is where the real pathos of the character is. My only fear is that they play it off as Cap being naive and needing an education. He may need to compromise his beliefs, and that could make a good story, so long as he doesn’t abandon them and give in to modern cynicism.

reply to  Jurgan
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 12:46pm

Agreed. I really like how the Marvel films have taken care to show the difference between Cap’s ideals and the cynicism of his government, whether it’s the song-and-dance propaganda campaign that tried to co-opt him in the first film or the preemptive mindset of SHIELD that tries to co-opt him in this one. He may indeed need to make compromises and navigate gray areas in this story, but I have a feeling he’ll continue to serve as a kind of American conscience trying to live up to the best American ideals.

I’d love to see a flashback scene of that barbershop quartet. ;-)

MisterAntrobus
MisterAntrobus
reply to  Bluejay
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 4:29pm

I second and third what Jurgan and Bluejay have said. I’m seriously impressed by what Chris Evans is doing with this character as he’s been placed into the modern-day arc of the Avengers. There’s something he does with his eyes and how he holds his body that betrays that he’s never quite comfortable with his surroundings in the way that he was in his WWII days. And I, too, love the moral conflict – It may be a little on the nose, but the fact that at least one of Cap’s uniforms in this one is black and grey is a nice touch.

I just hope the Falcon doesn’t end up feeling as shoe-horned as he does in this trailer. A lot of comic movies go wrong by overcrowding the roster of super characters (see: Spider-Man 3). It would be a shame to waste Anthony Mackie.

reply to  MisterAntrobus
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 4:59pm

I’m also very curious to know what kind of presence Black Widow (or perhaps some new female character) will have in the movie. A report on a Marvel panel at the NY Comic Con has this interesting bit:

…one fan was eager to know why none of Marvel’s female superheroes were headlining their own films.”Watch Captain America 2,” they said, most of the panelists smiling.”That’s still not a headliner — it’s not her name in the title,” the fan insisted.”Yes, you’re right — but watch Captain America 2.”Whether they were saying that Black Widow is about to steal the movie from under Cap’s nose, or maybe subtly hinting that the sequel sets up a solo Widow movie, it generated interest.

It’s entirely possible the Marvel honchos were just misunderstanding the question or glossing over the issue, but the fact that they confidently gave the same answer after the question was repeated makes me think that something special is, possibly, hopefully, in the works.

MisterAntrobus
MisterAntrobus
reply to  Bluejay
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 6:31pm

Didn’t Marvel have a Black Widow/Hawkeye movie in the works at some point?

reply to  MisterAntrobus
Thu, Oct 31, 2013 12:50pm

I don’t know that it ever got past the “we’re exploring it” stage.

Scott Mortensen
Scott Mortensen
reply to  Bluejay
Thu, Oct 31, 2013 3:05am

If Scarlett Johanson wants her own movie, I have a feeling they would give her one. She’s pretty bankable and has a lot of pull in hollywood.
I’d love to see an Alias movie with Jessica Jones, but maybe her (and hopefully, Luke Cage) are going to show up on the S.H.I.E.L.D tv series. A lot of Marvels biggest women are in ensembles though, And everyone would just associate She Hulk as a Hulk spinoff.
At least they’re always handled pretty well by Marvel. Peggy Carter, Pepper Pots, Black Widow, etc. are all strong, competent women.

reply to  Scott Mortensen
Thu, Oct 31, 2013 12:35pm

Peggy Carter, Pepper Pots, Black Widow, etc. are all strong, competent women.

Agreed. But they’re not superpowered women either. I’m still hoping for a Captain Marvel movie somewhere down the line.

I certainly wouldn’t complain about a standalone Black Widow movie, and kudos to Johansson if she gets them to make one. But it shouldn’t be up to her to ask for it. Did Marvel make Thor and Captain America because Evans and Hemsworth were big influential stars who demanded that the films be made? Did Chris Pratt pound on Marvel’s door and say “I want a Guardians of the Galaxy movie made now, dammit”? Marvel should be making movies about their interesting female characters because they’re interesting female characters, same as they did for their male characters. They can cast bankable stars (or talented soon-to-be-stars) after they make that decision.

Scott Mortensen
Scott Mortensen
reply to  Bluejay
Sat, Nov 02, 2013 4:23am

That was so long winded that I stopped caring. What do you even want?

reply to  Scott Mortensen
Sat, Nov 02, 2013 12:38pm

You think a couple of paragraphs is long winded? You need to read more, sonny.

What do I want? You responded to my comment to MisterAntrobus, and so I was trying to have a conversation with you. If I’m boring you, feel free to stop replying.

Scott Mortensen
Scott Mortensen
reply to  Bluejay
Sat, Nov 02, 2013 4:58am

No, they shouldn’t have to.

They own the characters, and they can see that noboby bought tickets to Elektra or Catwoman.

Do you honestly think some studio-exec is going to choose idealism over capitalism?

What woman character of theirs would make a good movie?

reply to  Scott Mortensen
Sat, Nov 02, 2013 12:36pm

Those movies failed not because they starred women, but because they were bad. Green Lantern and Jonah Hex were also bad movies that flopped, but Hollywood didn’t say “OK, no more movies based on male comic book characters.” They keep trying.

Yes, studios have to make money. But they can make money on a female-led action movie. (And they have.) It shouldn’t be impossible to make a good female superhero film.

What woman character of theirs would make a good movie?

We talked about a couple already. Black Widow. Captain Marvel.

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
reply to  Jurgan
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 5:26pm

I doubt it. The Marvel Cinematic Universe isn’t into deconstructing its heroes to that extent. And no, having Tony Stark be a dick to everyone doesn’t count, not when he shakes off his PTSD at dramatically appropriate moments while Disney refuses to even mention his rampant alcoholism.

No, more likely Steve Rogers will Save The Day™ by Kicking (Righteous) Ass™ after having shown that he was Right All Along™ but in the end Redford and Nick “Sam Jackson” Fury Still Won’t Listen™.

That being said, I’m gonna watch the hell outta this movie!

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 5:38pm

I think Redford is the real bad guy in the movie…manipulates Cap and THAT’s the education.

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
reply to  LaSargenta
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 5:40pm

Probably, thought they’re definitely pushing Fury towards Good Is Not Nice

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 6:43pm

Well, as a parent, I support that message.

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
reply to  LaSargenta
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 7:38pm

As a parent, I’d be careful with that, considering how they seem to have Fury categorizing “good” and “nice”.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 8:47pm

Look, if you’re going to whittle down motivations to epithets, you have to remember that the more broad and pithy the statement, the easier it is to apply to situations far from the original.

Lol.

Jonathan Roth
Jonathan Roth
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 3:37pm

By the way, if you don’t already know what “Winter Soldier” refers to, don’t Google it. Big potential spoilers.

MisterAntrobus
MisterAntrobus
reply to  Jonathan Roth
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 4:17pm

Yes, I’m glad they didn’t give that away in the trailer. You can see it if you know what you’re looking for, but they stop short of the revelation.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  Jonathan Roth
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 4:17pm

But we see it in the trailer. O_o

MisterAntrobus
MisterAntrobus
reply to  LaSargenta
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 4:21pm

Well, like I said, only if you know what you’re looking for.

MarkyD
reply to  Jonathan Roth
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 4:34pm

Thanks for that. I haven’t read the comics, and was wondering about the title.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Jonathan Roth
Fri, Oct 25, 2013 9:59pm

I don’t know, but I figured it was the guy in the mask? Not that I have any idea who he is or what he’s doing.

Jonathan Roth
Jonathan Roth
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Sat, Oct 26, 2013 1:30am

People already familiar with the Captain America comics (or cartoon) probably already know about it. If you don’t, and you like surprises, then backstory on Winter Soldier is potentially spoiling.

They might do something completely different with the concept (like the Mandarin in Iron Man) but I get the feeling the director and writers are much more interested in the conflict between the America Steve Rogers fights for, and the America that wants Captain America fighting for it.

Matt Clayton
Matt Clayton
reply to  Jonathan Roth
Sat, Oct 26, 2013 3:43pm

Seems like the movie will hem pretty close to the “Winter Soldier” storyline in the comics. MaryAnn, if you watch the first film again and look at the Winter Soldier’s face closely, you’ll know exactly who it is.

Fri, Oct 25, 2013 4:16pm

Robert Redford is in a comic book movie? Whoa.

As I understand it, Redford was offered the starring role in Superman: The Movie, which he turned down either because (a) he wanted too much money or (b) he didn’t think he’d be believable in the part. Had things gone a different way, he might’ve been in a comic book movie long before now.

Also: Does Steve Rogers just carry that shield around everywhere?

Scott Mortensen
Scott Mortensen
Thu, Oct 31, 2013 3:14am

The Hellicarrier has crashed a few dozen times in the comics, almost crashed in the Avengers, and now crashes in this. It seems kind of impractical compared to an actual aircraft carrier already sitting in the water. The planes are it’s main offensive element anyway.