Winter’s Tale trailer: it’s fantasy, m’kay?

Ooo, a love story. A charming thief. A beautiful woman. A hulking villain. Romantic old New York.

Wait, what? Is this time travel? Is it immortality? If you read the Mark Helprin novel you know it’s supposed to be reincarnation… or something. Hide the speculative stuff! Don’t call it science fiction or fantasy! It’s “magic realism.” It’s literary.

It’s fucking fantasy, people.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
Fri, Jan 31, 2014 1:33pm

Oh Christ on a Cracker…I think Colin Farrell has been added to my list of people-who-will-make-me-watch-anything because I find myself looking forward to that big steaming bowl of mush.

bronxbee
Fri, Jan 31, 2014 6:56pm

i’ve been seeing the ads on TV and i hate this film already… the lines of dialogue are just so cheesy. and the horrible, horrible irish accents make me cringe. russell crowe’s “accent” sounds like an Oirish Spriiing commercial. and, really, honestly, how can *colin farrell* sound phony irish? this will not be on my to see list. haven’t read the novel, i must admit.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  bronxbee
Fri, Jan 31, 2014 7:40pm

I know. This looks horrible. But, some part of me was melting at CF, weird accent and all.

bronxbee
reply to  LaSargenta
Fri, Jan 31, 2014 8:20pm

colin farrell is one of those actors i cannot abide… not because he lacks talent, he just annoys me for some reason. his face always looks like it needs a good smack.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  bronxbee
Fri, Jan 31, 2014 8:51pm

And I agree! I consistently have thought that same thing! But, something weird has been happening the more often I see him in stuff. Must analyse.

bronxbee
reply to  LaSargenta
Fri, Jan 31, 2014 10:16pm

’tis a puzzlement…

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
reply to  bronxbee
Fri, Jan 31, 2014 10:13pm

What is it with Russell Crowe and bad vocal work lately? Not that’s his vocal chords were ever gilded or anything (that West Virginia “accent” he did in A Beautiful Mind was embarrassing), but lately it’s like he’s trying to sound bad.

Adam R. Charpentier
Adam R. Charpentier
Fri, Jan 31, 2014 7:08pm

Thanks for clearing that up. My wife and I were speculating that it was about angels, something something, but reincarnation fits the bill.

amnistyann
amnistyann
Sun, Feb 02, 2014 1:37am

Colin’s accent is for real.

bronxbee
reply to  amnistyann
Sun, Feb 02, 2014 8:21pm

i know he is actually irish — although he does a fairly decent “american accent” when called upon. what i’m saying is, the dialogue and the intensity with which it is spoken on the commercials makes even his *genuine* accent sound phoney. it’s like the director said to them to “up the irish” or something.

KingNewbs
Sun, Feb 02, 2014 7:40am

I read the book twice, and I’m not really sure what it’s about either. I do know I liked it very much.

Mon, Feb 03, 2014 6:29pm

Magical realism is all too often for people who are too insecure to admit they read fantasy. (Or maybe who just find all that coherent worldbuilding too much to cope with.)

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  RogerBW
Mon, Feb 03, 2014 7:58pm

I think it’s a sub-genre of fantasy. It has just as many tropes and conventions as high fantasy, but they’re borrowed from a very different set of authors.

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  Danielm80
Tue, Feb 04, 2014 5:51pm

By which I mean to say: There are legitimate reasons to distinguish between magical realism and fantasy.

Obviously, some people make the distinction for snobbish reasons: “I don’t read fantasy. I read Literature.

But I think people can acknowledge that they’re reading fantasy and still want to specify what kind of fantasy. High fantasy is very different from supernatural romance or a fairy tale. You’d probably think it was odd if someone said, “You liked The Lord of the Rings. Why don’t you like Twilight? They’re both fantasy.” Magical realism has a very different audience from the sort of book that’s usually marketed as “a fantasy novel,” and it’s an important distinction, even if some people get snotty about it.

Will
Will
Tue, Feb 04, 2014 5:54am

The trailer comes across like an SNL short. Its laughably bad

“Lucifer!!!!! Give me the power to make this guys girlfriend break up with him!” good lord Russel Crowe is such a shitty overrated actor