Benedict Cumberbatch, a very manly Muppet

Cumberbatch and some Sesame Street denizens compare apples to oranges:

Via Yahoo! News, Cumberbatch confirms what we’ve always known:

Cumberbatch taped the spot in January, when he joined actress Amanda Abbington to promote the new “Sherlock” season to a TV critics meeting in Pasadena, Calif. His puppet encounter proved to be something to brag about.

“I just met with the Muppets,” Cumberbatch gleefully told Abbington, who plays the wife of Dr. Watson (Martin Freeman, her real-life partner).

“Did you have a good time?” she asked.

“It was so much fun,” he said, adding, “They are real.”

Of course they’re real.

H/t bronxbee.

Tue, Feb 04, 2014 11:46pm

No appearance from Sesame Street’s great detective muppet, Sherlock Hemlock? Egad! #missedopportunity

bronxbee
bronxbee
reply to  Bluejay
Wed, Feb 05, 2014 4:25am

oh, yes, that would have been hilarious!

Kathy_A
Kathy_A
Wed, Feb 05, 2014 2:06pm

“Of course they’re real.”

My very favorite Sesame Street segment of all time goes back a ways, when a little girl is singing the alphabet with Kermit (RIP, Jim Henson–sob!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYIRO97dhII

Kermit is as real as could be to her and to all of us.

(Oh, and on the subject of Sesame Street, my favorite musical group right now is going to be on the US show on Friday! Pentatonix, an a capella group, is doing a medley of number songs. You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b-v-wMR69k
And they did a mash-up of “C Is for Cookie” and “Rubber Ducky” for their own YouTube Channel, with a guest appearance by a very hungry and blue monster at the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXHvKzTd3uc )

reply to  Kathy_A
Wed, Feb 05, 2014 3:52pm

I love those old clips, where the muppets basically just talked to the kids and reacted to whatever the kids said. So simple and so sweet.

Pentatonix rocks, and I’m really looking forward to seeing their NY show this April. Three of their members also did a hilarious “Frozen Medley” on Scott and Mitch’s YouTube channel Superfruit. Fun!

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  Kathy_A
Thu, Feb 06, 2014 12:49am

That snippet of the “Number Medley” at the end is just amazing.

reply to  Danielm80
Thu, Feb 06, 2014 2:26pm

If you think that’s amazing, you should check out their Daft Punk medley on YouTube. :-)

Kathy_A
Kathy_A
Wed, Feb 05, 2014 4:43pm

[ETA: Meant to reply to Bluejay–sorry!]

There is a new biography on Jim Henson that begins with the backstory of the filming of that scene that I linked to, using it as an illustration of the power of the Muppets and Jim’s connection with children. (The book’s author was on The Daily Show last fall, and I bought it immediately after seeing him interviewed. Great book!)

I am so jealous you get to see Pentatonix in concert! I’ve been a fan ever since their first appearance on The Sing-Off (they were the only votes I’ve ever called in for a singing competition TV show). The entire 30-city tour sold out before I could buy my tickets, so I guess I’m stuck waiting until they tour to support their first full-length album, which they’re promising is going to come out later this year. I’d love to see it chart above PTX Vol. II, which debuted at #10 on Billboard (highest ever for an acapella group–yay!). Oh, and Mitch totally nailed “Let It Go” on that Frozen medley.