Godzilla trailer: this is gonna be awesome

Bryan Cranston is very angry and very scared! So you know things are very very bad.

“All those nuclear tests in the Pacific… not tests.” Ooo, that gave me chills. You noticed this, yes?

godzillabomb

So cool.

I feel like it’s been way too long since we had a really good monster movie. Please let this be one.

If you haven’t commented here before, your first comment will be held for MaryAnn’s approval. This is an anti-spam, anti-troll, anti-abuse measure. If your comment is not spam, trollish, or abusive, it will be approved, and all your future comments will post immediately. (Further comments may still be deleted if spammy, trollish, or abusive, and continued such behavior will get your account deleted and banned.)
LJS
LJS
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 11:59am

Fingers crossed.

Jurgan
Jurgan
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 12:26pm

“All those nuclear tests in the Pacific… not tests.”

I don’t know, isn’t this kind of missing the point? Godzilla was supposed to be created by nukes, not something we used nukes against. That seems backwards. Then again, maybe it’s a deliberate inversion- the rest of the trailer sounds like it’s doing a message about how we shouldn’t mess with nature. Perhaps that’s why the nukes didn’t work. We’ll see, I guess.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Jurgan
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 1:50pm

The first bombs woke him up. The subsequent ones just made him angry, I guess. In an “I’m up, I’m up! Sheesh!” kind of way, perhaps.

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Fri, Feb 28, 2014 1:37pm

HIM?!!!! Not according to Hauro Nakajima, the original “suit actor” for Godzilla. Godzilla was protecting her egg…the future Minya.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  LaSargenta
Fri, Feb 28, 2014 8:06pm

I stand corrected.

Damian Barajas
Damian Barajas
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 4:00pm

A friend was mentioning the trailer just yesterday, and I was saying (And I say a lot of crazy, nonsensical things) that the movie could only possibly work as a Hollywood style production if they took their inspiration from Cloverfield. And this reminds me of Cloverfield.
Sweet!

Rebecca Dalmas
Rebecca Dalmas
reply to  Damian Barajas
Fri, Feb 28, 2014 9:21pm

That’s what I thought at the last bit when you see Godzilla’s head…it felt like I was spying on the T-Rex that plagued my childhood nightmares, and any second it would zone in on my precise location. Eek!

MisterAntrobus
MisterAntrobus
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 7:13pm

Glad they’re sticking with using the Ligeti Requiem in the trailers. Even though the ubiquitous BWOM snuck into this one, the eerie voices stil make the hair stand on my head – and I’ve seen 2001: A Space Odyssey a dozen times.

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 7:14pm

Apparently, there is never a giant moth around when you need one…

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
reply to  Tonio Kruger
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 9:43pm

Personally, I’m pulling for a rocket-turtle. Preferably one that’s full of meat.

Paul Wartenberg
reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 10:29pm

He’s contractually owned by another company, so… nope.

Dr. Rocketscience

Thu, Feb 27, 2014 10:02pm

Says who?

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Fri, Feb 28, 2014 2:51am

The trailer, by implication at least. Of course, they could be saving the giant moth for the sequel…

Karl Morton IV
Karl Morton IV
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 7:52pm

So… we’re okay with mass death and destruction in summer movies now, are we? Or have the hand-wringers who whinged about “Man of Steel”‘s morality and tasteless 9/11-echoing not seen this yet?

Looks kind of amazing, but we thought the Roland Emmerich one looked pretty good too – until we saw it. I love how they’re (apparently?) making use of the legacy/backstory as opposed to pretending this is the first giant monster movie ever. Cautiously optimistic, just about covers it. :)

Jonathan Roth
Jonathan Roth
reply to  Karl Morton IV
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 8:08pm

There’s a considerable difference between Godzilla and “Man of Steel”. Godzilla is a natural disaster. Superman is supposedly an embodiment of superior morality and ability.

When Superman causes thermonuclear carpet-bombing devastation on Metropolis, we kind of expect the implications of his actions to be recognized.

Karl Morton IV
Karl Morton IV
reply to  Jonathan Roth
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 8:31pm

That would be a no, then. LOL!

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
reply to  Jonathan Roth
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 9:45pm

Point of order: Superman did not cause the “thermonuclear carpet-bombing devastation on Metropolis” and was in fact on the other side of the world while that was happening. One can certainly question the soundness of that plan, but that is what happened.

Jonathan Roth
Jonathan Roth
reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 9:56pm

True at first. Once the Zod fight kicked in though…

Karl Morton IV
Karl Morton IV
reply to  Jonathan Roth
Fri, Feb 28, 2014 8:09pm

I’ve never understood the thinking that Superman being able to call time out and relocate the fight to somewhere uninhabited would have made the movie better. Yeah, reducing the threat of a god-like, mentally unstable bad guy with a lifetime’s worth of experience and training as an ass-kicking soldier over our hero would’ve been just great.

Jonathan Roth
Jonathan Roth
reply to  Karl Morton IV
Sat, Mar 01, 2014 3:39pm

To me there are two choices with Superman: he’s either a mythical figure, or a logical figure.

A mythical figure is aspirational, which is why mythic Superman can find a way to prevent or reduce damage, or keep from killing an opponent. The logical figure is the deconstruction: what would a person with this level of power be like in a “real” world?

When the two get crossed, writers either end up promoting a twisted morality as aspirational (Three cheers for genocide!), or just creating unbelievable reactions to events.

(Now, perhaps this could set up the most sympathetic and nuanced version of Lex Luthor ever, as a good guy who genuinely believes Superman is the greatest threat to humanity. I personally think that’s expecting too much from Zach Snyder)

LaSargenta
LaSargenta
reply to  Jonathan Roth
Fri, Feb 28, 2014 1:38pm

Weeeeeell, I argue how “natural” the Godzilla-disaster is…

Jonathan Roth
Jonathan Roth
reply to  LaSargenta
Sat, Mar 01, 2014 4:18pm

Yeah, I knew I’d get into trouble on that. :P

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  Karl Morton IV
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 9:26pm

What do you mean we, kemosabe?

Karl Morton IV
Karl Morton IV
reply to  Danielm80
Fri, Feb 28, 2014 8:05pm

Back in the buildup to it, the idea of a Godzilla movie from the “Independence Day” guys sounded like all kinds of goofy summer fun – anyone claiming they knew in advance that what we got was what we were gonna get is probably grateful that we’re talking about sixteen years ago.

Danielm80
Danielm80
reply to  Karl Morton IV
Fri, Feb 28, 2014 9:34pm

The tag line for the movie was “Size does matter.” That was kind of a clue.

LJS
LJS
reply to  Danielm80
Sat, Mar 01, 2014 3:23am

At Boskone that year, Bob Eggleton made a quick classic Gozilla sketch with the tagline “Thighs do matter”. Eggleton was hopeful about this version, so I have my fingers crossed.

Paul Wartenberg
reply to  Karl Morton IV
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 10:34pm

There’s now some distance between 9/11 and today. We can depict mass destruction… just not in a Michael-Bay, cool-let’s-blow-stuff-up kind of way.

Karl Morton IV
Karl Morton IV
reply to  Paul Wartenberg
Fri, Feb 28, 2014 8:00pm

Wasn’t “Man of Steel” out only last year?

Tonio Kruger
Tonio Kruger
reply to  Karl Morton IV
Mon, Mar 03, 2014 3:29am

After all the fuss made over such dubious American pop culture heroes as Rambo, Dirty Harry Callahan and Jack Bauer, I have a hard time seeing why the idea that Superman should not kill is such a controversial idea. But I guess that’s just me.

Jonathan Roth
Jonathan Roth
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 8:12pm

This one, I think I HAVE to see in IMAX.

Paul Wartenberg
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 10:29pm

wasn’t Pacific Rim good? I liked it, wasn’t great, but good.

MarkyD
reply to  Paul Wartenberg
Fri, Feb 28, 2014 5:34am

Yeah, I thought the same thing when she said that. It definitely qualifies as a good monster movie.

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
reply to  Paul Wartenberg
Fri, Feb 28, 2014 6:37am

No. No it wasn’t,

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Paul Wartenberg
Fri, Feb 28, 2014 11:06am

Yes, it was good. I guess it wasn’t that memorable for me though!

Paul Wartenberg
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 10:32pm

The earlier trailer, the one with the HALO jump… was so much more effective and impressive.

Rebecca Dalmas
Rebecca Dalmas
Fri, Feb 28, 2014 9:24pm

I am pumped!

Sat, Mar 01, 2014 6:55pm

It doesn’t yell “great movie” at me; maybe I’ve just soured on mass destruction as a signifier of awesomeness. But we’ll see.