Veronica Mars trailer: will this have anything for non-fans?

I have not seen a single episode of Veronica Mars. Will this movie have anything to offer me? This trailer looks pretty generic-20something-comedy. It looks — perhaps unsurprisingly — like an for a TV show.

I’ll probably check it out, just out of professional curiosity. I like that this appears to be about a woman whose primary motivation is not romance. But I suspect this will probably be mostly notable for the fact that this is the biggest film so far — and it’s not that big, actually — to be released on the same day in theaters and on demand. (See The Wall Street Journal for more on the possible implications of this. Spoiler: It’s kind of a special case that probably won’t have much immediate impact.)

I hope Veronica Mars fans have fun with this, of course. Maybe it bodes well for us Browncoats someday getting some more Firefly

Adam R. Charpentier
Adam R. Charpentier
Tue, Feb 25, 2014 1:46pm

Hard to say. As a fan, I’m glad that the story will continue, but I’m not expecting (from what I’ve seen) this to be an endcap to the series OR a self-contained feature. It looks like an episode of the television show, which I’ll like. But will you? Beats me.

Paul Wartenberg
Tue, Feb 25, 2014 2:04pm

The clips I’ve seen – Veronica going to the high school reunion – hint at a kind of “Heathers” “High School Is Still Hell” kind of vibe. They just did a study that showed that the sh-t we went through in high school stays with us, so it may be meaningful to the Gen-X/Gen-Y Buffy crowd.

Lisa
Lisa
Tue, Feb 25, 2014 4:11pm

Veronica is a sarcastic bitch. She is really very clever and has a great tv dad. You would probably like her, Maryann! Movie does look a bit like a love triangle. She ended up with Piz, I say, what, now? I think she’s too smart to go back to Logan, he’s an asshole, accused of murder? Like father, like son, colour me surprised. I can’t get over she’s still with Piz. Piz! Surely we can pass him off as a college passing fancy! Despite the fact season 3 sucked, I’m looking forward to this. Just my stream of consciousness…

Tonio Kruger
reply to  Lisa
Tue, Feb 25, 2014 6:07pm

Spoilers for Veronica Mars the tv series:

Given the way the third season of the series ended, I’m surprised Logan is still around. Then again, the original plan for the fourth season was to have Veronica become a FBI agent and that obviously did not happen in this movie.

Tonio Kruger
Tue, Feb 25, 2014 6:01pm

Jamie Lee Curtis? Krysten Ritter, former star of Breaking Bad and — er — that other show?

Mate Sršen
Tue, Feb 25, 2014 7:55pm

Veronica Mars is most certainly not a comedy – or at least it’s as much a comedy as Buffy the Vampire Slayer is. In fact generally speaking if you loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer chances are you will love Veronica Mars. Take that as you will.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Mate Sršen
Tue, Feb 25, 2014 9:39pm

I’ve never seen any Buffy, either.

Elwood72
Elwood72
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Tue, Feb 25, 2014 10:05pm

You would probably love it – I’m sure you can stream it on Netflix by now. It will change your life.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Elwood72
Wed, Feb 26, 2014 12:49am

I’m sure I would love it. I don’t have the time to watch it, though.

reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Wed, Feb 26, 2014 1:09pm

Careful — I think the last time some readers (me included) fervently recommended something that was “right up your alley” and would “change your life,” it was Avatar: The Last Airbender, and look how you liked it. :-)

Probably best to go in (if you eventually do) with less than life-changing expectations.

Jurgan
Jurgan
Tue, Feb 25, 2014 10:33pm

It frankly amazes me that you never seen Veronica Mars or Buffy. They both seem right up your alley.

MaryAnn Johanson
reply to  Jurgan
Wed, Feb 26, 2014 12:48am

I can’t see everything.

Jurgan
Jurgan
reply to  MaryAnn Johanson
Wed, Feb 26, 2014 1:56am

Fair enough- there are certainly enough shows I want to see but haven’t yet. *stage whisper* (If people want her to see more shows, they need to subscribe to FF!) */stage whisper*

KingNewbs
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 6:08am

The day this movie got its funding via Kickstarter people started asking Joss Whedon about Firefly. The gist: It’s over.

LJS
LJS
Tue, Mar 18, 2014 10:33pm

Saw it today. Liked it. (I was a Kickstarter backer, so I expected to at least like it.) But I didn’t love it. I’m not sure how coherent it is for someone without a passing familiarity with the show.

Tonio Kruger
Wed, Mar 19, 2014 2:00am

I saw it last night and I liked it despite not being part of the Kickstarter campaign. And after seeing how well the last few Star Wars and Harry Potter films catered to their fans, I could care less if non-fans get it or not. It was a better movie than I expected. In fact, if you’re familiar with the third season of VM, you might be more confused than if you go in with no knowledge of the TV series whatsoever. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that….)