Tue, Mar 06, 2018 1:06pm

I’m leaning towards amazing, because it’s mainly tweaking genre snobs. Somewhere, Ursula Le Guin is applauding. Or at least nodding slightly in approval.

Tonio Kruger
reply to  Bluejay
Tue, Mar 06, 2018 6:51pm

I’m not sure you’d say that if you ever read her opinion of the original Star Wars but then, considering the fact that she worked in the Rodney Dangerfield of literary genres, that might be true.

Why not me?
–Irina Gallier

Oh, wait. That’s for next year’s version…

reply to  Tonio Kruger
Tue, Mar 06, 2018 8:43pm

the Rodney Dangerfield of literary genres

Ha! Nice one. :-)

Dr. Rocketscience
Dr. Rocketscience
reply to  Bluejay
Wed, Mar 07, 2018 5:04am

I’m with you.

My only issue with it: if you’re gonna do a song with singing, underappreciated genre actors, in a year with a Wolverine movie, and not include Hugh Jackman, you’re just wasting an opportunity.

reply to  Dr. Rocketscience
Wed, Mar 07, 2018 12:39pm

I can think of a few strikes against Jackman:

1. Part of the fun of the video is seeing actors you don’t expect to sing. Jackman’s already known and respected for his singing, and has been a Best Actor nominee for a singing role. And he already sang as Wolverine, complaining about genre snobbery, when he hosted the 2009 Oscars. He’s kind of overqualified for this.

2. Logan did have a nomination this year (and in a non-technical category), which would contradict the point of the video.

3. Jackman would arguably have been the most expensive actor on the list.

But I wouldn’t have minded if they’d included him anyway.

Danielm80
Danielm80
Sun, Mar 25, 2018 3:11am

Chris Evans is now learning to tap dance. He says it isn’t for a role. He just thinks tap dancing is awesome. (That’s almost an exact quote.)

The rest of the article is worth reading, too, but when your lede is Chris Evans tap dancing, everything else is an anticlimax. And if Lonely Island does an Oscar sketch next year, they clearly need to work in a dance routine.