loaded question: what’s a thing from movies (or books or TV) that you absolutely believed as a kid?

I was eight years old when the first Star Wars film was released, and for a good long while, I was convinced that if I just tried hard enough, I could use the Force. To this day, I’m still not entirely sure that the reason that I cannot use the Force doesn’t lie in some fault within me.

What’s a thing from movies (or books or TV) that you absolutely believed as a kid? And do you still kinda sorta half believe it?

(You can also discuss this at Substack or Patreon, if you prefer. You don’t need to be a paying subscriber to comment, but you will need to register with either site to do so.)

djconner@gmail.com
djconner@gmail.com
patron
moviegoer
Mon, Aug 01, 2022 8:34pm

I thought this scene from Airplane! depicted an actual jumbo jet crashing into a real building:

Maybe a building with fake glass and balsa wood or something, but still, a full-sized building, right? (BTW, have you ever noticed that a baby is flung into the air during this bit? I never did until today, when I was looking for the right images/clips.

And to this day it’s really only after reflection that I realize that many competent miniatures shots (in pre-CGI movies) had to be done with miniatures. Like, yeah, in Superman they didn’t actually simulate the effects of an earthquake on the Golden Gate Bridge, or even some old bridge scheduled for demolition that they dressed up to look like the Golden Gate Bridge. They built a model, of course, which is a heck of a lot easier.

My recollection was prompted by learning today that Christopher Nolan actually DID use a full-size jumbo jet and real building, and a bunch of practical explosives, for a similar scene in one of his movies. And called for a second take when he wasn’t 100% satisfied with the first one!

last edited 15 days ago by djconner@gmail.com
movie lover
reply to  djconner@gmail.com
Tue, Aug 02, 2022 12:31am

Funny thing: according to the comments in your YouTube link, the scene was also used in an episode of The A-Team. I found it:

Somewhere there must be a list compiling all instances of scenes being recycled in TV shows and movies. Would be interesting to see.

I think many SFX crews in the pre-CGI era were absolute geniuses. The matte paintings in the original Star Wars trilogy still blow my mind.

djconner@gmail.com
djconner@gmail.com
patron
moviegoer
reply to  Bluejay
Tue, Aug 02, 2022 9:37pm

That’s amazing – I notice the close-ups of the landing gear (also really well done) are also Airplane! too.

movie lover
Tue, Aug 02, 2022 6:06pm

I think, from all the first-contact stories I absorbed from childhood onward — Close Encounters, Cocoon, Starman (both film and show), Contact, etc — I’d always just accepted that intelligent alien life existed, and that we might one day come into contact with it.

I still believe alien life exists; the universe is bigger and stranger than we suppose or CAN suppose. And with all the staggering images the JWST is showing us, I find it extremely hard (not to mention arrogant) to assume that, in all the worlds spinning around all the suns in all the galaxies, our planet is the single solitary location of the emergence of living consciousness. There’s life elsewhere out there. But whether any of it is intelligent (whatever that means) and has the means AND the desire to travel to us, I’m sort of agnostic about. I’m more aware now of all the physical, logistical, probabilistic reasons such contact remains highly unlikely. But a tiny little flame of hope does still flicker in me whenever I see headlines of scientists detecting unusual radio signals from the stars. :-)

Relatedly, a steady diet of science fiction made me confident that someday, maybe even in my lifetime, we WOULD send people out to the planets and the stars — publicly accessible space stations, permanent outposts around the solar system, generation ships to the nearest exoplanets, a way to crack the light-speed barrier, all that. I guess technically many of those things are still possible, but I’ve lost a lot of my faith that the human race can get its shit together enough to achieve them. I still hope to live long enough to see people set foot on Mars, though.

last edited 14 days ago by Bluejay
althea webb
althea webb
moviegoer
reply to  Bluejay
Mon, Aug 08, 2022 7:25pm

As usual, Bluejay, you express a lot of the same thoughts and questions (only better) that I’ve had over time. I appreciate it. What you say about alien life put me in mind of several excellent Star Trek TNG and Voyager episodes in which the Prime Directive was central. Whatever any viewer, fan or not, may think about the plots or issues that are dealt with, what I saw were ideas that made sense to consider. In at least a few of those episodes the crew had a struggle to maintain the Prime Directive. Of course there might be alien ships passing by that have had the same issues with us. Seen that way, it makes perfect sense to me that they could be, or have been, up there, and we just didn’t notice. Our technology is booming right along, but it’s silly to think that any progress we’ve made is enough to live up to our imaginations.

movie lover