trailer break: ‘Death Race’

Take a break from work: watch a movie trailer…

If you really suspect you might find yourself in the throes of breathtaking suspense during Death Race, don’t watch the trailer, because it appears to give away the whole plot. Not that it reveals anything you wouldn’t have guessed anyway. And it does inadvertently reveal that this is probably the kind of movie that will appeal to those strange people who always want to know how the movie ends before they even see it.

Oh, and there’s a redband trailer available at the official site, if you’d like to hear filthy words coming out of Joan Allen’s mouth.

Which reminds me: Joan Allen? Why?

Death Race opens wide on August 22.

(Technorati tags: , )

Clayj
Mon, Aug 18, 2008 6:45pm

Hey, now. Can’t get enough Joan Allen. She’s smart and hot (especially considering she turns 52 this Wednesday) and she’s a really good actress. I think we can forgive her for slumming in the occasional mindless action flick.

Newbs
Tue, Aug 19, 2008 12:37am

There was an item over at Chud.com that mentions if you watch this trailer there’s no need to go and actually sit through the movie, as all the good parts are here for you to see, free of charge.

I am happy that Joan Allen does stuff like this and Bourne… she was amazing in The Contender with the Dude, and I’ve always liked that she doesn’t do the normal aging actress flicks… well, at least none that I’ve seen — though, admittedly, that’s not saying much.

Anyway, despite the overwhelming likelihood that Death Race will suck, I’ll probably see it because there’s always a chance that a movie like this will totally surprise you — plus: Ian McShane!

Michael
Michael
Tue, Aug 19, 2008 2:10am

I’m planning to see this with a friend of mine; we saw the trailer before Dark Knight and couldn’t stop laughing. It looks terrible, but it looks to be FUN terrible. (Possibly even more so than Virus or Fortress, though Death Race doesn’t have “intestinators.”)

It’s a matinee, definitely. :D

(By the way, am I the only one who keeps hearing Grampa Simpson whenever the title is uttered? “YES, the death race!”)

MBI
MBI
Tue, Aug 19, 2008 8:38am

“Death Race” can pose and flex and blast as much heavy metal as it wants. Doesn’t matter, because I’ve already seen the original “Death Race 2000,” and that was no half-assed “Running Man” ripoff. It was an honest-to-God cross-country race where you got extra points for running over innocent people. “Death Race” can pretend to be badass all day and all night — it’s still a watered-down movie for pussies.

Bill
Bill
Tue, Aug 19, 2008 10:26am

Newbs – I’m with you. For movies that will likely suck, I am usually happy to let MAJ fall on the grenade and then see what whe has to say about the experience. But, for a number of reasons – Joan Allen among them – I think I’ll risk it in this case.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Tue, Aug 19, 2008 1:16pm

I am happy that Joan Allen does stuff like this and Bourne

I think it’s gonna be a slap in the face of the Bourne movies to put it in the same class as this one…

PaulW
Tue, Aug 19, 2008 5:33pm

I’m still not impressed with any remake attempt as long as Plan 9 From Outer Space is still sitting there, unloved. :(

Joey
Joey
Tue, Aug 19, 2008 11:40pm

Wait, this is a remake? I thought it was an unlicensed adaptation of the F-Zero video games.

MaryAnn
MaryAnn
Wed, Aug 20, 2008 1:44pm

It’s a remake of the Roger Corman movie.