trailer break: ‘Knowing’

Take a break from work: watch a trailer…

I get it! Nicolas Cage finds a piece of paper that, 50 years prior, unerringly predicted each and every future large-scale disaster to come… and there’s a few more yet to unfold. And Nicolas Cage will stop those disasters from unfolding. Because these predictions are absolutely accurate and comprehensive, and therefore the future disasters they insist are coming — and will certainly come because all the other predictions have been correct — must be prevented. And they will be prevented because Nicolas Cage is our hero.

I don’t get it.

Oh, I get that it’s like the bogus “Bible code” meets Next, the bogus “Nic Cage can see into the future” movie from a few years ago. I just don’t get how this is going to work.

Unless I’m completely wrong about how this movie must inevitably turn out. Maybe Nicolas Cage will not save the world and his adorable towheaded little son at the same time.

But I’m guessing if I’m wrong about anything, it’s about that.

Knowing opens in the U.S. on March 20 and in the U.K. on March 27.

If you haven’t commented here before, your first comment will be held for MaryAnn’s approval. This is an anti-spam, anti-troll, anti-abuse measure. If your comment is not spam, trollish, or abusive, it will be approved, and all your future comments will post immediately. (Further comments may still be deleted if spammy, trollish, or abusive, and continued such behavior will get your account deleted and banned.)
marshall
marshall
Tue, Mar 03, 2009 5:09pm

Ok, so it’s got Nicolas Cage who hasn’t made the best choices in recent times… but dang it, I’m a sucker for Apocolyptic Disaster flicks…

Katie Dvorak
Katie Dvorak
Tue, Mar 03, 2009 5:27pm

Didn’t we just see something like this with Jim Carrey and the number 15 or something?

the rook
the rook
Tue, Mar 03, 2009 5:35pm

is it all right to complain that the train at 1:10 doesn’t look like anything in the new york city subway?

JoshFL
JoshFL
Tue, Mar 03, 2009 11:39pm

My first reaction when I saw the trailer for this film, including about 300 different questions:

“Aren’t the body counts for major disasters often estimates? And who the hell gets to decide what is the official body count? Couldn’t this paper be used to determine the exact number of people dead in certain events, such as the tsunami? What is a ‘major global disaster,’ as defined by this movie — is it always natural? Does it have to have a certain minimum body count to be classified as a ‘major global disaster,’ or would a fire in Namibia that kills a few villagers be considered? If so, should there not be something like pages and pages of numbers, rather than just one?”

I know that I definitely have been overthinking this way too much [especially considering how stupid but fun they probably intend it to be, like National Treasure (though I just thought it was stupid)], but am I really the only one?

Josh
Josh
Tue, Mar 03, 2009 11:40pm

Basically, my point is that there are way too many plot holes.

Grondzilla
Grondzilla
Thu, Mar 05, 2009 11:23pm

Wouldn’t actually watching the movie first be appropriate before this level of petty bitching?

Cage picks are unpredictable…For every Ghost Rider there is a Lord of War. Director of ‘Dark City’ to boot? I’d say the outcome is entirely uncertain at this point.